Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Timing Adjustment 101 Questions

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  eaglemike 
#1 ·
I think my timing has been messed with after my Doo install. I had some other internal breakage problems and I think things got "rotated" slightly. But I don't know the first thing about setting the timing. The bike is really hard to start, and backfires occasionally while I'm cranking it. When it finally starts it seems fine, but I can tell something is just "off" I just don't know what. Kind louder and a little more vibratory movement than before.

I'm here at work, (50 miles from home) there are some tools here... is this something I can fix here in the parking lot, or am I going to have to call the wife to come and get me? I suppose I could get it fired up again and drive home, but it'll probably sit all week until I can get to it. But I'm here now, and I noticed there wasn't any good tech info posted in here on adjusting the timing. I'd consult my Clymer, but of course it's at home.

(Funny, I always seem to need tech help when out on the road and never when I'm in my shop. WiFi internet access has saved me more than once thanks to you guys on the fourms!)

#3 ·
Now, to address your problem.

It's simple to make an adjustment. if it's needed.
- stand the bike up strait.
- pull the to plactic plugs on the left cover.
- Pull the tank and the Valve cover. (to check... you really only need to get the cover loose)
- turn the rotor to TDC by looking in the upper leftside cover hole till you see the 'T' (it's actually on it's side.)
- look at the cam gears. sighting at the top of the head where the valve cover sits, you should see two lines on each cam gear,(on each side of the bolts) they should line up with the top of the head and the arrows on the cam gears should be pointing forward.

Thats if it's in time.

If it's not.
- pull the cam chain adjuster
- pull the left cover
- pull the rotor and starter gear
- rub your doohicky
- remove the cam caps.
- take out the metal cam chain cover on top.
- take the cams out
- hold chain up witha wire or something to keep it from falling in
- double check the TDC timing on the crank
- pull all the slack out of the cam chain on the exhaust side
- install exhaust cam with chain and those timing lines level and arrows pointing forward
- install intake cam with chain now taught from the crank to the exhaust cam to the intake cam , with timing lines level with head. (all the chain slack has to be on the right side as your looking at it. so the adjuster works properly)
- put it all back together.
- double check the timing, turn the crank over by hand.
- give it a go.

Clymer has this all in better detail. <-- disclaimer :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.