Engine Coolant - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2006, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 53
Engine Coolant

I have been using this Engine Coolant http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...37&division=6#

Never thought about the lack of freeze protection much since the bike is always in my garage at night.

Now I'm getting ready to go ride in the NC mountains with about 50 of my KLR buddies and I am worring about freezing temps.
Is 30* temps enough to freeze the coolant in the block and should I change this before I go ?

Thnaks in advance
CRITTER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boynton Beach, Florida
Posts: 22
I just googled that product and it looks like it says it for race use and offers no freeze protection at all. No reason to take a chance, just change it out. You can always switch back once the warmer weather comes back.

'06 KLR650 Aztec Red
'08 TW200
kRuger is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11
30 isn't cold enough for a hard freeze, probably not any freeze since most additives lower water's freeze temp. On the other hand, I have no idea how thick the walls are in the water jacket. If you don't want to go through the trouble of changing it, if you warm it up good before turning in for the night, I doubt there is any way it could cool off enough to freeze.
dvklr650 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 AM
Lifetime Member
 
Daddyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Riding around the USofA
Posts: 1,429
99% chance it won't get cold enough to hurt anything, but is that 1% worth taking the chance?

32 is the freezing point, and I would think it would have to drop down to 30 or less to freeze hard enough to hurt anything. Even at 30-28 it would take some time for it to freeze hard enough to cause damage. They say the wind chill has no effect on freezing, but I have seen pipes freeze if a door was left open allowing the air to move freely across the pipes.

You know how many times the weatherman misses the prediction!!!!!!!!

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Daddyjoe is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11
:lol:
You could also park it close to the campfire. Might want to make sure it's on the sidestand leaning AWAY from the fire though.
dvklr650 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: denver, co
Posts: 42
Send a message via Yahoo to Kawioops
There is another product, called Engine Ice, which claims to offer both freeze protection and higher boiling points. It's usually available at local shops for around 20 bucks a half gallon. Pricey, but allegedly better.

I AM Wonko the Sane!
Kawioops is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Ride all night and sleep when it's warmer out.. :shock:


(sorry, I couldn't help it) :lol:


Drain or siphon a bit out of your radiator and add some antifreeze.. Even just a few oz. will help freeze protection. Just a thought..
Paper is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 53
THanks man 8)
CRITTER is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-30-2008, 02:03 AM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
If the KLR cooling system holds 1.3L or roughly 44 ounces. If you use 32 ounces of 50/50 premix and 12 ounces of distilled water you have a 63.6% to 36.4% water to coolant ratio.

If this is true what would the lowest and highest temperatures. I don't know and would like to know.

The reason I came up with this ratio is economics.

32 ounce bottle of Pro Honda HP Coolant Premix, $4.39
12 ounces of distilled water, $.07 ($.64 a gallon)

The coolant would be completely used and distilled water is inexpensive and the remaining distilled water can be used for other projects.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
4th Gear
 
DXKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, Ky
Posts: 1,980
Not sure on temps but you could do this. Make a 66/33 percent sample from the antifreeze and water and check it with a float ball coolant checker and it will tell you the boil point you are safe too. For the $5 xtra bucks, I would make it all the correct coolant. Not worth tempting higher temps and having something go wrong with the motor, altho that scenario is probably on the extreme side.

2008 DL650 VStrom Yellow and Black
Previous ride was a 2007 KLR Black/Silver, I miss it..
Looking to get back into KLR's sometime soon.

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
DXKLR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What engine oil are u using? Gitrdun 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 32 09-18-2016 11:23 PM
ENGINE NOISES SANS MOOSE ENGINE GUARD X6_Hustler 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 2 02-12-2010 01:29 AM
Engine VIN #? Northerner28 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 1 06-07-2008 08:14 AM
Noob with engine swap question....Will the KLR 650 engine fit in a KLR600? Juice_Man 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 0 04-01-2008 07:00 PM
coolant leaking... stigedis 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 3 09-12-2007 08:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome