Kick starter - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Dave0430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Amity Ar.
Posts: 52
Kick starter

Does anyone have a list of the parts it takes to install a kick starter? I have a hard time trusting a battery, even a new one, when in places where roll starting would be out of the question. Did a search and found several threads but no actual list of parts.

I love to ride, shoot and eat, what else is there at 60?
Dave0430 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0430 View Post
Does anyone have a list of the parts it takes to install a kick starter? I have a hard time trusting a battery, even a new one, when in places where roll starting would be out of the question. Did a search and found several threads but no actual list of parts.
Somehow, in the dark recesses of my memory, I think Tom Schmitz posted a video of a kickstarter implant on this very website!

All the necessary parts were laid out and identified, as I recall.

That said, for most ordinary mortals, the project is in the "TOO HARD" box!

A pre-'96 clutch basket, IIRC, is but one prerequisite.

Lacking a kick starter, a tow rope and jumper cables might come in handy.

Yet, I confess; I'd really, really LOVE to have a kickstarter!
Damocles is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,446
Garage
Kick starter lever
Primary gears
Clutch Assembly
Kick starter mechanism
Right side cover with hole
Kick start shaft seal
Plate set
Circlip
Thrust Washers

Optional depending on the condition of your stuff:
Cover Gasket
Water Pump Gasket
Water Pump Seals
Oil Gallery Seal

Watch these videos:


Cost is variable, depending on what you need and what you're able to find on e-Bay or in a junkyard.

T

Tom [email protected]

“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amity Arkansas
Posts: 23
Thanks. If you notice I show to be a new member. In trying to change my email address in my profile somehow I could not log in. Sent a message to admin but got no reply.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amity Arkansas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post

Lacking a kick starter, a tow rope and jumper cables might come in handy.

That would be nice if there were someone else there.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,446
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Thanks. If you notice I show to be a new member. In trying to change my email address in my profile somehow I could not log in. Sent a message to admin but got no reply.
Seems no one is going to answer you on this, so....

That's really weird. Shouldn't have happened.

Try logging on as Dave0430 (Dave Zero 430) and click on the 'Forgot My Password' link and have your password resent to you or reset it, just to make sure you've not gotten mixed up on the P/W.

Your account is inextricably linked to your Username and Password, so about the only way I can see it getting screwed up is on the password side of things.

T

Tom [email protected]

“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 05:25 PM
1st Gear
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amity Arkansas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Seems no one is going to answer you on this, so....

That's really weird. Shouldn't have happened.

Try logging on as Dave0430 (Dave Zero 430) and click on the 'Forgot My Password' link and have your password resent to you or reset it, just to make sure you've not gotten mixed up on the P/W.

Your account is inextricably linked to your Username and Password, so about the only way I can see it getting screwed up is on the password side of things.

T
I might have done that if I had seen a "forgot my password" button. I was trying to change my password but it wouldn't accept either the new or old afterward.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,446
Garage
When you log in with an incorrect password you should see a vBulletin message box pop up that says:

"You have entered an invalid username or password. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

You have used 2 out of 5 login attempts. After all 5 have been used, you will be unable to login for 15 minutes."

I added the bold, blue emphasis. Try logging in as Dave Zero. Put in a bogus password, and click on the 'Forgotten Password" dealiebob.

You should see another box pop up to the effect of "If you have forgotten your username or password, you can request to have your username emailed to you and to reset your password. When you fill in your registered email address, you will be sent instructions on how to reset your password.
Email Address:__________________"

Proceed accordingly.

T

Tom [email protected]

“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amity Arkansas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
When you log in with an incorrect password you should see a vBulletin message box pop up that says:

"You have entered an invalid username or password. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

You have used 2 out of 5 login attempts. After all 5 have been used, you will be unable to login for 15 minutes."

I added the bold, blue emphasis. Try logging in as Dave Zero. Put in a bogus password, and click on the 'Forgotten Password" dealiebob.

T
Tinkering around I did find that, tried it and it sent the new password to DaveO instead of Dave0 so it still doesn't work. Hope I can still log back in under DaveO.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,446
Garage
If you log in as Dave Zero and enter a bad password, then click on the dealiebob, it has t send you a reset for the Dave Zero Account.

Log out of Dave Oh and try logging in as Dave Zero.

T

Tom [email protected]

“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kick starter peter650 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 159 11-04-2016 05:46 AM
KL600 starter won't start - switch, relay and starter working Friedom Other KLR's - 250, 600, Tengai, C Models, KLX... 12 08-13-2013 09:40 AM
Did Klr ever come with kick start? Blueklr2008 KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 6 10-22-2010 11:58 PM
Kick stand durability BobbaReeba 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 3 03-22-2010 04:55 PM
Kick Starter Kit?? Rick Geroux KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 3 06-21-2009 05:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome