What kinds of fluids should I use? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30
What kinds of fluids should I use?

Hey everybody,
I drive a '06 KLR 650 with 260 miles on it and it's the first time I'm going to spill new fluids in it. What type of brake fluid (front and back) should I use, what type of coolant should I use, what type of gasoline should I use, and what kind of motor oil should I use... if I didn't mention any other fluids, feel free to write them down. Please be very specific for the highest performance.

Thank You,
Amin Y.
aminklr650 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member
 
Daddyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Riding around the USofA
Posts: 1,429
Read the manual, oil and fluids are really what you want to use as long as it is within the manufacturers specks. You don't have to use Kawasaki oils, I have used wally-worlds oil, synthedic oil, and now I use castrol 20w40-50.
Brake fluid is dot 4 I think and coolant I use a M/C coolant.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Daddyjoe is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 03:48 AM
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Elk Grove, Ca
Posts: 990
Leave the coolant in it, same with the brake fluid. Cheap gas. Buy the best synthetic oil that money can buy..see the thread of my trashed transmission if in doubt.

Oh yeah, change the blinker fluid at 1,000 miles..synthetic is best.
larryboy is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Leave the coolant in it, same with the brake fluid. Cheap gas. Buy the best synthetic oil that money can buy..see the thread of my trashed transmission if in doubt.

Oh yeah, change the blinker fluid at 1,000 miles..synthetic is best.


but what kind of coolant, what kind of brake fluid

Thanks,
Amin
aminklr650 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM
4th Gear
 
DXKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, Ky
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyjoe View Post
Read the manual, oil and fluids are really what you want to use as long as it is within the manufacturers specks. You don't have to use Kawasaki oils, I have used wally-worlds oil, synthedic oil, and now I use castrol 20w40-50.
Brake fluid is dot 4 I think and coolant I use a M/C coolant.
DOT 4 and use a good motorcycle coolant, Honda, kawasaki, think I have heard some using dexcool and distilled water. 50/50 mix. Your owner's manual should inform you of everything to use. Your best bet is to purchase a good Service Manual from Kawasaki.

2008 DL650 VStrom Yellow and Black
Previous ride was a 2007 KLR Black/Silver, I miss it..
Looking to get back into KLR's sometime soon.

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
DXKLR is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXKLR View Post
DOT 4 and use a good motorcycle coolant, Honda, kawasaki, think I have heard some using dexcool and distilled water. 50/50 mix. Your owner's manual should inform you of everything to use. Your best bet is to purchase a good Service Manual from Kawasaki.
Thank you
aminklr650 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36
amsoil

Has any one using this 20/5o in their KLR with good results?
karl is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
There is no earthly reason to change your coolant or brake fluid for at least a year and probably 2. As far as oil goes, Kowalski recommends 10/40, but with the caveat that it not be rated "Energy conserving". This has to do with additives that are not wet clutch friendly. Generally all automotive 10/40 oils are energy conserving. 20/50 oils are not. And Kowalski lists 10/50 and 20/50 as alternatives as long as it is warm enough out. Another really good choice is oil intended for diesel engines.........Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo are 2 examples. These oils come in 15/40, which splits the difference.
Personally, and opinions vary, I would use non-synthetic oil at least until 3k miles, just to be sure the rings have a chance to run in.
As far as synthetics go, synthetic diesel oil is a great choice.....it is available in 5/40. I myself use Mobil 1 15/50 automotive oil. It is cheap enough, and available at any Wallyworld.
Good Luck!
4wheeldog is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Post nofull synthetics

i talked to a motorcycle machanic who specializes in the
klr650 and dr650. he said amsoil and full synthetics over
time will harden the o-rings and seals in the engine causing
problem down the road. he recomended THUMPER 20-50
because it is made for hard hitting and hy revving engines
like the klr650
bungi1 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi1 View Post
i talked to a motorcycle machanic who specializes in the
klr650 and dr650. he said amsoil and full synthetics over
time will harden the o-rings and seals in the engine causing
problem down the road. he recomended THUMPER 20-50
because it is made for hard hitting and hy revving engines
like the klr650
The "Synthetic oils cause seals to leak" is not a current complaint. Back in the early (1970s) days of synthetics, some oils allowed seals to shrink. That was corrected 30 years ago. There is no evidence that the seals in KLR motors are any different than the seals in any other modern motor. Synthetic oils are no more likely to harden them than petroleum oils. And most specialty label oils are just an exercise in marketing. Use "Thumper" or whatever makes you feel better. But synthetics have proven to hold up to heat better, produce less wear and break down more slowly than petro oils. YMMV.
4wheeldog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draining Fluids KLRless 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 10 06-05-2007 09:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome