Fuel filter - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 44
Fuel filter

Have been getting loss of power and stuttering whilst accelerating under load. Think it may be due to a restrictive fuel filter and a reduced gravity feed as petrol tank half empty. I will fill tank up to test but can anyone recommend a high flow fuel filter that they have used on the KLR? Looking for manufacturer and part number and/or link to item. If in Europe even better, have found visu filters in states for a few dollars but postage to Ireland 3 or 5 times cost of filter. 90 degree type might be good on klr with limited space? Any help would be great, cheers.
foofoo7777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,481
I don't have a part number as usually just grab some from a bulk bin at the local parts store. All I can suggest is that you look for some which use fine screen or sintered metal cartridge ones. KLR isn't usually a good bet for adding a filter for the reasons you mention.
Normk is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,419
You're aware, foofoo, INTERNAL "filters" or screens exist within your fuel tank, atop the "normal" and the "reserve" standpipes on your fuel petcock.

Possibly, these fuel tank filters may have become clogged; you can remove the petcock and examine them; clean if necessary.

KLR650s delivered in the US have no fuel filters external to the fuel tank. Aftermarket fuel line filters? To each his own; might be a particularly good idea in the "third world," where fuel contamination is likely.

Is your fuel line filter clogged? As a test, you might bypass it (run fuel line direct from petcock to carb, as in OEM configuration) for a while and see if your stalling disappears.
Damocles is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
 
Ranger Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Posts: 71
Not all Visu-filters flow the same. Here's some info I put together a few years ago:

Visu-filter FF707C bikebandit Item: 1574467
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 6.9 gph

Visu-filter FF707CB
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Polyester
Filtration: 125 microns
Flow Rate: 7.7 gph

// This is the one Dennis Kirk sells (flow rate is too low)
Visu-filter FF701LC
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 65-100 microns
Flow Rate: 1.8 gph

Visu-filter FF701C
Straight in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 7.0 gph

Ron

Opinions are my own. Everything I describe is very likely wrong. Use at your own risk.
Ranger Ron is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 PM
2nd Gear
 
beejjorgensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 376
Send a message via Skype™ to beejjorgensen
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoo7777 View Post
Have been getting loss of power and stuttering whilst accelerating under load. Think it may be due to a restrictive fuel filter and a reduced gravity feed as petrol tank half empty. I will fill tank up to test but can anyone recommend a high flow fuel filter that they have used on the KLR? Looking for manufacturer and part number and/or link to item. If in Europe even better, have found visu filters in states for a few dollars but postage to Ireland 3 or 5 times cost of filter. 90 degree type might be good on klr with limited space? Any help would be great, cheers.
I'm thinking this doesn't sound like a filter problem... but who knows.

I've had this filter on my gen1 KLR for 10K miles or so (when I took it in to the shop for some work, the guy just threw it on there for nothing, saying it was a good idea; I had no objection).

It doesn't seem to do anything, which I think means it's working:

http://goo.gl/ezs8dH [Amazon link]
beejjorgensen is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 62
Maybe this is too obvious, but I'll go out on a limb...check to make sure the tank is venting properly. Duct tape the fuel cap so it won't close all the way ( but won't dump ALL the gas if you tip the bike over). If that helps, take the cap apart and clean the vent.

I have a love hate relationship with added fuel filters and have a box of used ones that I've taken off. Finally decided to trust the screen on the petcock tubes and replace the fuel line every year so it doesn't shed rubber. Replacing the petcock with a manual non-vacuum (no diaphragm) one eliminates one additional source of particles

UncleWray's Motorcycle Painting & Upholstery

Our Motto: "If it looks real bad from a mile away, you know you came to UncleWray"

Our Guar-ron-tee: "If it doesn't look bad from a mile away, we'll drive you closer till it does!"
UncleWray is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWray View Post
Maybe this is too obvious, but I'll go out on a limb...check to make sure the tank is venting properly. Duct tape the fuel cap so it won't close all the way ( but won't dump ALL the gas if you tip the bike over). If that helps, take the cap apart and clean the vent.

I have a love hate relationship with added fuel filters and have a box of used ones that I've taken off. Finally decided to trust the screen on the petcock tubes and replace the fuel line every year so it doesn't shed rubber. Replacing the petcock with a manual non-vacuum (no diaphragm) one eliminates one additional source of particles
Cheers for all the responses. Already tested venting, road along with petrol cap open, no joy. Think the filter is too restrictive, will take it out to test. Seems too coincidental that fuel tank less than half full and issues have arisen. Lack of gravity and lack of flow rate. Want the visu 90 degree filter but postage to Ireland is $30-40, madness for something cheap,$5, and really light. Cannot locate a dealer in Europe who seems to stock them.
foofoo7777 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Not all Visu-filters flow the same. Here's some info I put together a few years ago:

Visu-filter FF707C bikebandit Item: 1574467
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 6.9 gph

Visu-filter FF707CB
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Polyester
Filtration: 125 microns
Flow Rate: 7.7 gph

// This is the one Dennis Kirk sells (flow rate is too low)
Visu-filter FF701LC
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 65-100 microns
Flow Rate: 1.8 gph

Visu-filter FF701C
Straight in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 7.0 gph

Ron

Thanks for that, ff707c is the one for me, just need to find a vendor in Europe, cannot see how postage for something that light and small is $30-40 from the states. Cheers.
foofoo7777 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 44
Cheers Ron, eventually got hold of both the 90 degree and straight high flow fuel filters, formally visu filters, now Fastex etc. Have also replaced petcock with Yam one and still hesitation under load when fuel tank half full. Have opened fuel cap whilst happening, still persists. Strange.

Cheers for info on fuel filters though.

Not sure what to try next. Have return on carb plugged so no vacuum leak, although not as important with gravity fed petcock. Wonder if the vent pipe at base of tank at front if seat could cause issues if blocked, even if cap open? Bike flies when full of fuel for 100 miles or so.

Cheers.

Adam


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Not all Visu-filters flow the same. Here's some info I put together a few years ago:

Visu-filter FF707C bikebandit Item: 1574467
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 6.9 gph

Visu-filter FF707CB
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Polyester
Filtration: 125 microns
Flow Rate: 7.7 gph

// This is the one Dennis Kirk sells (flow rate is too low)
Visu-filter FF701LC
Right Angle in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 65-100 microns
Flow Rate: 1.8 gph

Visu-filter FF701C
Straight in-line
For 1/4" line
Sintered Bronze
Filtration: 40-70 microns
Flow Rate: 7.0 gph

Ron
foofoo7777 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 44
Cheers, eventually got hold of both the 90 degree and straight high flow fuel filters, formally visu filters, now Fastex etc. Have also replaced petcock with Yam one and still hesitation under load when fuel tank half full. Have opened fuel cap whilst happening, still persists. Strange.

Not sure what to try next. Have return on carb plugged so no vacuum leak, although not as important with gravity fed petcock. Wonder if the vent pipe at base of tank at front if seat could cause issues if blocked, even if cap open? Bike flies when full of fuel for 100 miles or so.

Away to Africa soon and clean fuel maybe an issue so hence inline fuel filter. When I fitted the Yamaha petcock found the filter came off and had already lost filter from standard petcock as well, another reason to have one inline again.

What to try next. Will put in petrol pipe with no filter and see how we go. Any other suggestions if that's not the cure?

Cheers.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWray View Post
Maybe this is too obvious, but I'll go out on a limb...check to make sure the tank is venting properly. Duct tape the fuel cap so it won't close all the way ( but won't dump ALL the gas if you tip the bike over). If that helps, take the cap apart and clean the vent.

I have a love hate relationship with added fuel filters and have a box of used ones that I've taken off. Finally decided to trust the screen on the petcock tubes and replace the fuel line every year so it doesn't shed rubber. Replacing the petcock with a manual non-vacuum (no diaphragm) one eliminates one additional source of particles
foofoo7777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what filter hodag How To's & Tech Guides 30 08-24-2018 12:29 PM
In line fuel filter myth busted. GO_OUTSIDE! 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 18 09-28-2012 05:47 AM
Fuel starve at load, air in fuel line, tank vacum? troutbum33 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 11 08-21-2012 08:52 AM
put on new fuel tank no fuel out pet cock ?? julies klr650 How To's & Tech Guides 8 04-17-2012 12:23 AM
Fuel shutoff valve w/n pass fuel Stephen.s1 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 4 07-12-2008 09:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome