My 98 KLR is needing some new tires. I use this bike about 75% on pavement, so longevity is a major decision factor. The rub is that the other 25% includes forest single track, desert back country which has slick rocks, deep sand, and if it rains there is the ever popular quicksand holes that have a way of showing up on what was the trail before the rain started.
Tires on my short list are:
Pirelli Scorpion AT
All of these are more inclined for the pavement duty, and the only one I have prior experience with is the Kenda. It performed well except for deep sand and mud. Could not expect better in rocks or loamy dirt, or pavement from one tire.
I am looking for input and feedback from KLR riders that have used the other tires. Are they worth the higher price than the Kenda? What are the good and bad points of each? How many miles did they go before giving up, and were they mild or harsh miles?
Thanks in advance for the help in spending my hard earned money.
There is no such thing a having too many bikes.