Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada
There are a few modifications possible to the KLR. Here's the list on my present bike which are not all duplicates of those on my previous one or which have done on others. Depending on one's use, my mods may be useful or not as they are improvements mostly for my uses.
POwner mods 30+
The racks are the SU model from Happy-Trail.com.
The ammo cans are mounted by way of the L-shaped mounting brackets from KLR650.com and hex bolts. Allen key included.
Moose Racing Nerf Bars
Studebaker MM230 Skid Plate (engine guard)
Lever guards Mair Woods
Muffler modified HMF end cap
Mesh Headlight Guard
Rear Master Cylinder protector
Stainless brake hoses F & R
EBC FA67/3 brake pads
EBC FA130R Disk Brake Pads
Ricor Imtiminator fork valves
Race Tech front fork springs 492 mm free length 4.45 mm wire diameter, 140 mm spacer
Dial-A-Jet main jet adjustment kit.
EZ-Idle mixture adjustment knob
#38 pilot jet
Africa Left side switch pod.
Mirror relocation mount.
Eagle Mike frame bolt kit
Eagle Mike Doohickey with coil spring
IMS Foot Pegs
Foot peg mount bolt upgrade
Low windscreen deflector
Remove inner fender, license light mount, and relocate licence to rear fender
Elastic stop nuts on chain adjuster studs
Bowl vent "T"mod.
1" KLR bar risers
My modifications to KLR#2
1) Convex mirrors onto originals
2) Pro Grip 714 Dual Sport grips
3) EBC-CSK Clutch springs
4) Shift lever sapling stopper cable
5) Charge adapter for battery to starter relay
6) HID headlight kit
7) Lexan headlight protector
8) Main & Headlight fuses to weatherproof micro fuses
9) Steering head grease nipple
10) Steel reinforcement plate RTV behind shift lever
11) #2357 tail light bulb
12) Seat modified to remove w/o bolts
13) Advance exhaust cam (1) tooth
14) Replace coolant hoses w/3/4” heater hose, (2) ¾ x 6” coil springs, & Goodyear #65009 hose
15) Yamaha cross bar pad
16) Extend rear signal wires to allow connection under seat
17) Brake pedal riser carriage bolt
18) 306-5029 Motion Pro (Yamaha ATV) clutch cable
19) Recalibrate speedometer
20) Dual Sport Luggage Trunk top case
21) Dash 1/16" Lexan
23) FIAMM E72102 horn
24) Remove air box screen
25) Drill carb slide vacuum port to 7/64”
26) Main power relay
27) Rear shock gravel shield
28) 4-Way hazard switch
29) E13 Tridon flasher
30) Heated jacket plug
31) Cigarette plug
32) Grip heater wiring
33) Cooling fan fuse relocated lower down to weatherproof Mini Fuse
34) EBay rotary LED controller board & potentiometer installed to control grip heaters. (2.9 amps max to grip heaters at 14.5 volts)
35) Temperature gauge calibrated overlay
36) KLX needle clip in 3rd slot
37) Thermostat bypass
38) Spread rad. side plastic shroud & zip tie to HT guard. Insert water pipe foam between rad. & shroud. Aim is to increase air scoop effect of rad.
39) Convert front turn signals to 40 LED panels. Always on running flash off/on for signals.
40) No Toil air filter
41) Weld larger foot to side stand.
42) LED lights to bark busters.(rewired to operate in unison with front signal lights)
43) Install 195 F thermostat.
44) Cross drill oil pipe banjo bolts to 1/8"
45) Metal heat shield onto water pump hoses
46) NK Lexan windscreen
47) Install (2) flat 4-wire trailer connectors to rear light wiring.
48) Drill (8) ¾” holes in top of air box
49) Install (2) 4-wire trailer plugs to R & L side rear wiring & glue lights to rear of ammo boxes.
50) Tubeless tire conversion: 224 Acrylic body sealer, sealed spokes to rim. Cleaned inner wheel with PF600 & installed Ken’s Tire tubless stems.
51) 14 1/8” x 1/8” Lexan Windscreen 25 + 47 = 72 mods
52) Replace dash #194 bulbs (speedo (2), tach, Fan, + (2) pannier tail lights with LED
53) Spray side boxes w/rubberized underbody coating
54) Add reflective strips to side boxes.
55) Drill oil gallery (below starter) & cylinder head banjo bolts to (2) 1/8” holes from single 1/16” hole/
56) Brown Wire Modification
57) Exhaust elbow onto muffler.
58) Plasti-Dip Tupperware to Blaze Geen
59) 10mm Ninja 250 master cylinder
60) Silicone 1-1/4" x 10-1/2" aluminum plate to LH side of rad.
61) Automotive rubber door edge around rad fan shroud between shroud and radiator core as cushion and seal air.
62) Plasti-Dip hand guards to Blaze Green
63) Solder white shunt wire from output of Main Power Relay to White wire terminal of fan relay plug to reduce fan Vd by 0.3 volts.
64) Replace cooling fan blades with EX500 fan blades. Much more air flow and higher current draw showing increased motor load.
65) VRR MOSFET EBay Suzuki Marauder VZ800 2005-2006
66) Tubeliss Tire System installed front tire
67) Slime both wheels
68) Magnetic drain plug
69) Exhaust wrap onto header pipe
70) LED Brake Tail light assembly
71) Velcro to underside of seat to prevent sliding
72) Modify fuel filler cap to allow push to close without key
73) Gen2 280 mm front rotor with counter bored bolt holes
74) Suzuki SV650, Vstrom, Versys dual piston front caliper with Deville adapter
75) Fibreglass screen between radiator and radiator guard screen
76) Gen2 header pipe with exhaust wrap
77) Modify rear swing arm brake hose bracket to hold hose on top of swing arm
78) Hydraulic clutch
79) Rear "faux muffler" 4 inch PVC tool tube
80) IMS Type rear foot pegs with springs
81) 4 inch PVC front tool tube
Total 30 + 81 = 111 mods
Planned: 3mm oil gallery restriction between oil filter cavity and crankshaft oil pocket; grease nipples in rear suspension & swing arm; self cancelling turn signals; security immobilizer from LED Pulse with remote modulator; Wheat Whacker mod to fairing.