Need HEEEELLLPPP on my trip to the end of the world...stranded in Seattle :/
Apologies ahead of time as I am sure this post is on the forum in some form or fashion, but of course my issue is unique
and also sorry for writing such an essay.
Start of Issues:
While riding, the bike died all of a sudden without any sputtering or anything. Naturally, sounds electrical. So long story short, after testing the spark plug and realizing that it wasn't getting a spark, i started to test all of the electrical nodes in the ignition system with the multimeter. Eventually found a spliced wire coming from the stator (got caught in my chain / sprocket?) and then I soldered it together and spark returned. Got the bike started and then the new issue started...
After riding a few miles after fixing above issue, the engine started to sputter in low RPMs, so I would play with the clutch, get the rpm's up and then the bike would run fine. I rode on the freeway for about 60+ miles to get to a friends house. When I got off the freeway, the RPMs dropped and the bike immediately shut off. Once I came to a stop, I put the bike in neutral and started it back up, it died again when i tried to give it gas, so i kept the RPM's high by using the clutch and feathering throttle during the 5 or so city miles to my friends. Last mile or so, bike seemed to be working fine without any sputtering or anything in lower RPMs, weirdly inconsistent.
I then let the bike sit for a couple days as I was busy in the city. I went to start the bike again and give it a test ride. First .5 mile, bike seemed fine, then the sputtering in lower RPMs in gear 1 &2 started and I had to nurse it back home by playing with clutch, been working on it ever since.
What i've done:
- Rechecked all ignition electronics and everything looks good - no pinched wires, nothing grounding, etc.
- Inspect all fuel lines and vents for leakages - none found, good gas in fuel lines and float bowl
- Took petcock apart - nothing of warning in there, all filters in tact, gaskets in good condition, valve clear, etc.
- Inspected the throttle cables - in good order
- Took carb out and cleaned all jets, float bowl, etc. - looking like new and everything is clean or undamaged including air cutoff valve and slide diaphragm
- Thinking electrical issue again, replaced the spark plug and tested - good spark and electrical flow resulted
- Checked the choke/enricher play - appears to be opening and closing as it should
- Air filter - was extremely dirty (6k miles on it on this trip so far with 35% dirt) so replaced with brand new one
- Checked fuel tank cap - Appears fine but What does it mean when it is hissing?
Tried to start the bike again and it ignited just fine with choke engaged, let it warm up for a couple minutes, disengaged choke, then it idled fine for a couple minutes so I went to give it gas in neutral. Once I gave it gas, it sputtered and died quickly. Then was curious to see what the spark plug was doing (due to above issue) and it was covered in black soot (carb fouled) Why would it be like that after one start of the bike? Clymer says because it's running rich, so I leaned out using the Pilot Mixture Screw.
Started bike again and then it died again when giving gas...
Now, I am at my whits end...Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Cheers and thank you!!