M1030b1 parts, also lurking - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnnny13
  • 1 Post By Johnnny13
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ductapenzipties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 26
M1030b1 parts, also lurking

Hello all I'm restoring an airforce m1030b1 to its original flat fighter jet grey glory! I have ordered or cannibalized pretty much everything I need but there is on thing that eludes me.

The Infrared spotlight that goes above the headlight, its a little black rectangle to be turned on when riding blackout conditions to avoid detection on a midnight creep (I see you, you no see me). Now... before the ever vigilant friends of Johnny law get on my back I know blackout lights/switches are illegal but they are also really cool and I plan to keep them disconnected most of the time. I want this to be a feature of the bike trust me NVG lurking is super fun in the right environment.

That being said does anyone have a line on these little bad boys? Maybe a military salvage auction bike like mine was? People often buy two or three m1030b1s to make one. Or maybe you know a really nice comparably shaped n sized modern replacement that would fit the bill. Kind of a shot in the dark I know but I'm really trying to preserve the authenticity of this bad mamajamma!

Advice or leads greatly appreciated, let me know thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ductapenzipties is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: West of Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapenzipties View Post
Hello all I'm restoring an airforce m1030b1 to its original flat fighter jet grey glory! I have ordered or cannibalized pretty much everything I need but there is on thing that eludes me.

The Infrared spotlight that goes above the headlight, its a little black rectangle to be turned on when riding blackout conditions to avoid detection on a midnight creep (I see you, you no see me). Now... before the ever vigilant friends of Johnny law get on my back I know blackout lights/switches are illegal but they are also really cool and I plan to keep them disconnected most of the time. I want this to be a feature of the bike trust me NVG lurking is super fun in the right environment.

That being said does anyone have a line on these little bad boys? Maybe a military salvage auction bike like mine was? People often buy two or three m1030b1s to make one. Or maybe you know a really nice comparably shaped n sized modern replacement that would fit the bill. Kind of a shot in the dark I know but I'm really trying to preserve the authenticity of this bad mamajamma!

Advice or leads greatly appreciated, let me know thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk




Check this out, maybe he can help you out.
ar15.com/forums/general/USMC_M1030B1_Restoration_part_2/134-1981770/


Put www in front of course


Arctic
Arcticcanoe2 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oregon / Arkansas
Posts: 73
That’s actually my thread. I have one on here that documents all of the restorations.
http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wr...on-oregon.html
The front blackout light does not provide illumination in the way you think? I’s just a marker light so that you can be seen by friendly forces. Just like the rear blackout light. The red is for marking and the white that illuminates with the brake is to tell others driving behind you (wearing NVGs) that your slowing down. There is a Ranger MOD that replaces the front headlight with two. One is a white light and the other a IR headlight.

I do have a few blackout lights but they are very hard to find and finicky. I have installed 2 functioning ones (and 2 non functioning) and they always break after a few hundred miles. Usually it’s the bulb. On my personal M1030B1 I put on a broken one. It’s still correct but why risk breaking a hard to find part? I’ve restored 4 of these bikes now and I’m on my 5th. Feel free to ask any questions about the bikes. I can also get you the correct tank for this bike. IMS made them but they are different then their current ones. The older ones also have different gas caps than the current ones.
ductapenzipties likes this.

Last edited by Johnnny13; 06-15-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Update
Johnnny13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ductapenzipties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 26
Thanks for the replies guys, didn't get any traction on the first link and now I'm a little bummed it's not a true IR just a marker. I used those in Afghanistan for mraps matvs an 7 tons never even considered they'd be on these bikes.

Still very good to know id have been setting myself up for disappointment unfortunately i already ordered the vented version of the IMS desert tank I think they look a bit better personally so I'll probably just keep it.

Question for daddyjoe: did you get your M1030b1s from a civilian seller, a standard military auction, or a military salvage auction? Mine was salvage so no titles were released I was told it would be hard to get anything other than a salvage title unless I did some serious title washing and that's really not my jam.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ductapenzipties is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oregon / Arkansas
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcanoe2 View Post
Check this out, maybe he can help you out.
ar15.com/forums/general/USMC_M1030B1_Restoration_part_2/134-1981770/


Put www in front of course


Arctic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapenzipties View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, didn't get any traction on the first link and now I'm a little bummed it's not a true IR just a marker. I used those in Afghanistan for mraps matvs an 7 tons never even considered they'd be on these bikes.

Still very good to know id have been setting myself up for disappointment unfortunately i already ordered the vented version of the IMS desert tank I think they look a bit better personally so I'll probably just keep it.

Question for daddyjoe: did you get your M1030b1s from a civilian seller, a standard military auction, or a military salvage auction? Mine was salvage so no titles were released I was told it would be hard to get anything other than a salvage title unless I did some serious title washing and that's really not my jam.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I am sticking to everything being correct so I am going with the old tanks. Either way your taking on a awesome project. I got two from a private seller. He got them from a meseum that had a few, they canbalized a bunch to make one, they auctioned that one for meseum funds. The two I got were rough. Then while looking around I found 6 that were sitting at a sheriffs department in Maine. They were rough as well. They received them in a military to law enforcement program. I linked a thread in my above post that takes you to my restoration thread. It covers most of the restoration on the 4 Iíve completed so far.

If you restore it thereís a chance to get them titled with the receipts from parts youíve ordered. If you run into problems with that feel free to IM / email me and I can tell you how to LEGALLY get a title. It was easy for me since the first two were titled and for the other 6 I receccived a notarized letter from the sheriffs office. It stated there werenít any government interest in the bikes and the associated paperwork about how they got them from the Marines. I got those legally titled as well.
Johnnny13 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oregon / Arkansas
Posts: 73
Almost forgot. I can send you a link to get both of those headlights and picture of the Ranger MOD. That will get you the IR illumination your looking for. I think it will be about $120 total. Iím taking on that exact mod on the next one I restore.
ductapenzipties likes this.
Johnnny13 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ductapenzipties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 26
Nice I'd love to see it this bike is all I've been thinking about lately

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ductapenzipties is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ductapenzipties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny13 View Post
Almost forgot. I can send you a link to get both of those headlights and picture of the Ranger MOD. That will get you the IR illumination your looking for. I think it will be about $120 total. I’m taking on that exact mod on the next one I restore.
So hey on the restore I realized I know little about the super cool stock shock for the m1030b1s, i was wondering what kind of air pressure should be in the shock?
ductapenzipties is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-04-2018, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Oregon / Arkansas
Posts: 73
Its a Progressive 420 the Progressive made for Hayes to install on the M1030B1. You can call them and they have good info on it. I had called them earlier to check on the possibility of rebuilding them. Unfortunately thats a no go. Let me know what you find out.
Johnnny13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M1030B1 restoration in Oregon Johnnny13 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 89 05-18-2019 05:36 PM
Lurking in NE Maverik Introductions 13 06-08-2012 11:25 PM
lurking learner in Alta k2trcs Introductions 10 08-06-2008 07:45 AM
Lurking for over a year NorthWestKLR Introductions 3 04-24-2007 10:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome