Valve adjustment question - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-09-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 43
Valve adjustment question

I was doing a first valve adjustment and when I was taking one of the shims out with a magnet I pulled out the entire bucket (tappet?) by mistake. I put the bucket back in and it slid back down home easily on its own. It rotates just fine with no resistance or anything like that. I put the new shims in and everything checked out in spec.

Am I good to go or is a bucket coming out a bigger deal than I thought?

Thanks for your help.
JTCrow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 12-09-2018, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear
 
shaky6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dothan, AL
Posts: 168
Garage
I think you're probably ok

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1986 Honda TLR 200 Reflex
2002 Ducati Monster 750S < -- For Sale
2005 Kawi KLR 650
shaky6 is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaky6 View Post
I think you're probably ok

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I appreciate the reply, Shaky, but I was hoping for more than "probably ok".

Anybody out there with engine experience that can help me out?
JTCrow is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 04:22 PM
4th Gear
 
GoMotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,233
There is nothing to come loose or fall out of place under the bucket. You don't even have to worry about lining it up with anything. Just put it back in, put your new or old shim in and forget about it. I assume you have already measured the exiting clearances for shim selection before lifting the cam shaft.
pdwestman, DPelletier and JTCrow like this.
GoMotor is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
There is nothing to come loose or fall out of place under the bucket. You don't even have to worry about lining it up with anything. Just put it back in, put your new or old shim in and forget about it. I assume you have already measured the exiting clearances for shim selection before lifting the cam shaft.
Yes, sir, GoMotor! All the clearances were measured several times beforehand and then when I got the cams back on with the new shims everything measured out just as I had hoped. But the bucket coming out worried me, after the fact, as I wasn't sure if some procedure needed to be followed as a result of it coming out. It was eating at me. Thank you for the peace of mind, I really appreciate your help.
JTCrow is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,462
Even when using a plastic dart with a suction cup, the oil between the shim & bucket can raise the buckets. No harm done as long as you don't to drop something on a hard floor or down a hole that it doesn't belong.

I usually don't dis-engage the cam chain nor remove the cams completely from the head. The '96 & newer units probably will need to remove the steel chain guide.

With the bearing caps removed and the slot in the buckets turned towards the spark plug, one can tilt the RH end of cam up enough or roll the cam towards the spark plug and use a knife blade to dislodge the shim and then use a magnet to extract.
DPelletier and JTCrow like this.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Even when using a plastic dart with a suction cup, the oil between the shim & bucket can raise the buckets. No harm done as long as you don't to drop something on a hard floor or down a hole that it doesn't belong.

I usually don't dis-engage the cam chain nor remove the cams completely from the head. The '96 & newer units probably will need to remove the steel chain guide.

With the bearing caps removed and the slot in the buckets turned towards the spark plug, one can tilt the RH end of cam up enough or roll the cam towards the spark plug and use a knife blade to dislodge the shim and then use a magnet to extract.
Thank you pdwestman, I'm going to try this method the next time I have to go in and adjust the valves.

Just so i'm 100% clear, this is the part that came out. Is the correct term for it the "tappet" or "bucket" or both?

JTCrow is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 PM
4th Gear
 
GoMotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCrow View Post
Thank you pdwestman, I'm going to try this method the next time I have to go in and adjust the valves.

Just so i'm 100% clear, this is the part that came out. Is the correct term for it the "tappet" or "bucket" or both?

A tappet is just the part of the valve train that goes up and down, in and out, back and forth etc in a straight line while the cam goes round and round. Think of it as every time the cam goes around it "taps it". In our case the bucket gets tapped.

I agree with your double checking approach when you are unsure. Better safe than sorry.
JTCrow likes this.
GoMotor is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,462
I'll say the terms are inter-changable in regards to the KLR engine. Shim & Tappet / Shim & Bucket.

You did install the shims with numbers towards the tappet bucket correct? Not facing the camshaft lobes.
JTCrow and stoner like this.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
I'll say the terms are inter-changable in regards to the KLR engine. Shim & Tappet / Shim & Bucket.

You did install the shims with numbers towards the tappet bucket correct? Not facing the camshaft lobes.
I did install them with the numbers facing down I also noted before and after measurement and shim sizes for my KLR files.

You guys are the best, thank you very much!
JTCrow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another valve adjustment question Jdolinski 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 22 09-18-2013 10:39 PM
Doo and Valve Adjustment at the Same Time: ReAssembly Question Mr. Junior 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 3 04-06-2012 12:34 PM
Valve adjustment waverlyhagood KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 3 04-22-2008 05:26 PM
Time for a Valve Adjustment KLRless 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 21 06-18-2007 11:09 AM
Valve Adjustment nrlightfoot 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 3 02-05-2007 07:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome