Not to derail your question, but food for thought;
I run JNS's LED headlight conversion KLR650 LED Headlight Kit - JNS Engineering
and I've found that I no longer need to consider additional light sources. Advantages;
- eliminate the weakness caused by the factory headlight wiring which is too small and doesn't allow full voltage to the bulb
- eliminates blowing the headlight fuse caused by momentary hang-up between hi and low beam
- significantly better light output than the stock headlight
- you have much better low beam output as well as highbeam.....auxillary lights should only be used when hi beams are used.
- more robust (IMO) than the stock headlight
- you don't need to do any wiring compared to adding auxiliary lights
- less weight, portrusions and better aesthetics vs. added auxillary lights
The only advantage I can see for going with auxiliary lights instead is that it adds redundancy but I've decided that this isn't enough to convince me to do it.