Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia
Nasty clutch noise - failing bearing?
My 1990 very high mileage Tengai has today just started to make a very nasty clutch noise. I would like the collective wisdom of the group as to the possible cause and prognosis (especially, will it last another 850km - I'll explain why in a minute).
During the last 100 km I felt the clutch was getting more grabby when I pulled away from lights. I also felt the clutch feel through the lever was changing - getting less precise.I tried adjusting the cable but no improvement.
Now I have stopped for the night and listen to the bike I hear the following:
- engine in neutral, clutch engaged, normal engine noises, nothing special from the clutch.
- engine in neutral, clutch disengaged (that is lever pulled in) strong rubbing noise and strong bearing noise.
- as soon as I put the engine in gear, clutch still disengaged, all the rubbing and bearing noise dissappear and all sounds good again.
- when I ride the bike all seems good, except for the clutch action.
The reason I ask as to whether it will last 850km (500 miles) is I am that distance from the end of a 28,000km journey which started in Panama, came through Central America and the USA and is due to finish in two days in Ottawa. I am currently in the small town of Saint Fabian (250 km north of Quebec City) and would ideally like to get from there to Ottawa under my own power. And I am also booked on an non-refundable plane ticket to the UK in exactly one weeks time, adding to my pressures to make a fast decision.
I see I have three options:
1. Close my ears and just ride, with fingers crossed - and if the worst happens move to option 3.
2. Pull the clutch cover here in the campground I'm at, and see if I can identify the problem - but if I cannot do anything about it, this doesn't seem to progress things much.
3. Hire a car and trailer and get it to Ottawa that way.
So would any one like to give me an educated guess as to what might be failing and the consequences of keeping riding? All thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk