Re-Jetted or not? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 16
Re-Jetted or not?

My '06 KLR has a Supertrap exhaust; I am wondering if it has been properly re-jetted by the previous owner, whom I have no way of contacting. Is there a way for me to tell by looking at the carb? Thank you, Monty
MontyFuller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 PM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
One hint though not proof is if the Pilot Screw Plug (PN 92066) has been removed. If this has been removed then the Pilot Screw most likely has been adjusted (1 3/4 - 2 1/4 turns). If the Pilot Screw has been adjusted then the 22 Cent Mod (#4 stainless steel washer under the Main Jet Needle) has been completed. The 22 Cent Mod will richen the A/F mixture.

Another hint is if the screws that fasten the Plastic Cover (PN 14025) have marks on them from a screw driver or if they have been replaced with stainless steel allen screws.

Other than that you would need to open the carburetor to see what is inside.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post

Other than that you would need to open the carburetor to see what is inside.
If you'd need to go inside, what are the stock jet sizes??

Not that I could read the jets in the carb with my eyes, but they would be marked on the bottom of the jet, correct??

All I've done is popped the plug to adjust my (closed) idle jet screw and install my choke plunger, so I'm not versed on the inside of the carb on the KLR.. (I'm chicken, and my bike runs great, so I don't mess with it)
Paper is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
If you'd need to go inside, what are the stock jet sizes??

Not that I could read the jets in the carb with my eyes, but they would be marked on the bottom of the jet, correct??

All I've done is popped the plug to adjust my (closed) idle jet screw and install my choke plunger, so I'm not versed on the inside of the carb on the KLR.. (I'm chicken, and my bike runs great, so I don't mess with it)
The 22 cent mod is not rejetting though 'raising' the main jet 'needle'.

The stock size main jets are...
...1987-2007 = 148
...2008 ---> = 145

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
The 22 cent mod is not rejetting though 'raising' the main jet 'needle'.

The stock size main jets are...
...1987-2007 = 148
...2008 ---> = 145
Thanks for the jet sizes..

As far as the .22 cent mod, I've only been part of one, and it resulted in 2 fouled plugs. When we changed it back on Double A's bike, it ran (and still does) just fine, so we haven't changed any others..

I'm not saying it's a bad mod, but it didn't work well on his bike.. His is a little cold blooded, too..

Changing the exhaust on the KLR is going to require some modification and I'd think the .22 cent mod would be a great start!!
Paper is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 PM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
The 22 cent mod is probably the most used mod for a KLR. Probably more than the Doohickey. Iam surprised to hear of this problem. This is the first time I have ever heard of a problem with the 22 cent mod. Don't know what KLR Double A has or if he has done anything else and don't know how the 22 cent mod was applied. You can bet Double A's 22 cent mod failure was not that of the KLR.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
The 22 cent mod is probably the most used mod for a KLR. Probably more than the Doohickey. Iam surprised to hear of this problem. This is the first time I have ever heard of a problem with the 22 cent mod. Don't know what KLR Double A has or if he has done anything else and don't know how the 22 cent mod was applied. You can bet Double A's 22 cent mod failure was not that of the KLR.
His bike is a 98' and completely stock as far as both muffler and airbox. It did start better for a couple days, but then he started getting backfires and it got hard to start. We swapped the plug out for a new one and it did the same thing.. Good, bad, nothing..

We undid the .22 cent mod, and installed another plug and it's been back to the original operation condition since.. That was early last spring that we did the changes..

The washer used in the .22 cent mod was the exact same thickness as recommended (checked it then, but I can't remember what the thickness was) but as I mentioned, when put back to original, it's ran like a champ since.

His 98' is a touch harder to start than my 02'.. He's more likely to need to use the choke than I am.. Once my bike has started for the day, I almost never need the choke, where his will if it sits for a couple hours..

On the other hand, his hasn't used a drop of oil in 22,000 miles, where mine always needs a bit after harder riding.
Paper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome