Battery overheating question - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central california
Posts: 9
Battery overheating question

OK, I am new to this form and just put a little introduction on the site. I am hoping that someone can help me with a problem. I have a 1988 KLR that has become more of a project then i wanted but I am into it to much to just ditch it.
I just recently had a trip interrupted by a battery that overheated and died. I was going over the Sierras at Sonora pass and had been riding for about four hours, for the last hour, when I had stopped i had noticed the smell of rotten eggs but just didn't put things together that the battery was the source. The lights went on on the dash, and when i pulled over to check it out the battery was tost.
The logical culprit was the charging system but when I checked it I found that it seemed OK. Charging voltage at idle and at speed was 15-16 volts and according to my Clymer manual was OK. The voltage regular/rectifier checked OK also. By the way, this was a new maintenance free battery.
One thing, when I took the tank off to check thing out I found that one of the bolts on the fan had come off and I could see that the fan blades had been hitting something, could have even stopped rotating.
I was able to push start the bike and go back down the hill into Sonora and got a new battery and decided it best to go home rather then go on the trip to ride dirt roads in eastern California. It took four hours to get home and everything seems OK, the new battery is still good.
If that fan got stuck and didn't turn would that have caused the problem. with the loose bolt fixed and the new battery the fan runs fine now.
A little history here. the fan is a replacement for a fan that went out last august, also with basically the same ramifications. The original fan get's loose on the shaft and jams, burns out the fan motor and the battery also dies. Each time the lights go, headlight bulb and turn single bulbs get burned out but the fuses don't blow.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
royphotog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,466
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
I'm not much of an electrician. Know enough to be dangerous actually.

From what I am reading it sounds like your fan motor is drawing current but not turning. So eventually it draws enough to pull the battery down or the fan motor gives out - whichever is the weakest link. The alternator probably can't keep up to the current draw of a fan motor trying to go and eventually the battery looses it's charge entirely.

Sounds to me that if you get the fan motor issue ironed out you should be problem free.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear
 
DonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central AZ
Posts: 177
Roy 16v is too high, could be as simple as a faulty ground on the VR.

Do you have a fuse in the fan supply circuit?

Here's my '88, it's changed a bit since this pic, skid plate etc.

Don H
Spring Valley AZ
'03 KLR 650/DS sidecar
DonD is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central california
Posts: 9
DonD

Thanks for the reply. The Clymer manual says 15 volts above idle. is that wrong? My son, who knows more then I do says he thinks 15-16 volts is to high also.
I have a fuse in the fan wire, I had put it in when I fixed it last year. When I checked it the other night the fuse was not burned out, but the glass fuse fell apart when I took it out. I had no volt meter to check it at that time.

thanks again
royphotog is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear
 
DonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central AZ
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by royphotog View Post
DonD

Thanks for the reply. The Clymer manual says 15 volts above idle. is that wrong? My son, who knows more then I do says he thinks 15-16 volts is to high also.
I have a fuse in the fan wire, I had put it in when I fixed it last year. When I checked it the other night the fuse was not burned out, but the glass fuse fell apart when I took it out. I had no volt meter to check it at that time.

thanks again
The book does say 15 is OK but you mentioned 15-16. Mid 14's is safer.
The reason I asked about the fan fuse, it should have blown when the fan stuck. Make sure it's the correct size.

Don H
Spring Valley AZ
'03 KLR 650/DS sidecar
DonD is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,466
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
I too thought the 15 volts was too high but wanted to check my manual.

I have used this flow chart to solve problems I have had in the past. Well worth printing and having in the library.

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las vegas NV
Posts: 16
I agree 15v is to high.13.5-14 would be normal.Just like your car
jim gibbons is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central california
Posts: 9
Thanks for all your input. We have gone through things, checked grounds and connections and and cleaned any that seemed dirty. Now the battery charging reading starts out at at about 12.5 and starts slowly climbing upwards until it's where it was before, over 15 and sometimes over 16. We then went back and tested the regulator it seems that I was not reading the scale on my meeter correctly and it has to much resistance. I have ordered a new one. Well see how that does.
royphotog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a battery, which one do you use? klrdan69 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 39 02-26-2010 07:48 AM
I need a new battery Northman KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 13 06-26-2009 02:57 PM
Overheating? Help? gottagetagoat 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 8 08-29-2008 06:16 AM
Battery???????? JWP6114 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 5 07-13-2008 10:47 AM
which battery tender emmettken 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 12 11-13-2006 07:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome