600 mi service & valves - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ADVdrming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 44
Question 600 mi service & valves

Howdie,

Took my KLR in for her 600 mi service today and asked them to do a valve clearence measurement and adjustment if necessary. They said it'll be an extra service for that (estimate for total about $300).

Looking at the user's manual, I remember this wasn't a recommended service at 600 mi, but I know many of you have done it in teh break-in period.

Is this normal? Did they reap me off for something they should perform either way?

I plan to call them and ask them to keep the measurements and give them to me for my records... Kind of wondering if they would even do it otherwise.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
ADVdrming is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Not trying to be a dick in any way. They ripped you off from the word go. The valves should be fine. But the most they do at most 600 miles tune ups is change the oil, break a few things, strip a bolt or two, and then pretend nothing happened.

Sounds cynical, but it happens again and again. Get a Clymers and get used to doing the work yourself, at tech days, with friends...SD is a good place to be. The dealership mechs , usually, are completely incompetent. They almost killed me when my handlebars swung down going fifty over a grate on the Golden Gate bridge. Then someone told me what I have just told you.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ADVdrming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Not trying to be a dick in any way. They ripped you off from the word go. The valves should be fine. But the most they do at most 600 miles tune ups is change the oil, break a few things, strip a bolt or two, and then pretend nothing happened.

Sounds cynical, but it happens again and again. Get a Clymers and get used to doing the work yourself, at tech days, with friends...SD is a good place to be. The dealership mechs , usually, are completely incompetent. They almost killed me when my handlebars swung down going fifty over a grate on the Golden Gate bridge. Then someone told me what I have just told you.
Lockjaw: thanks for your comments. I hear ya, I don't trust the dealer mechanics at all. Started doing my own work and bought the Clymer manual. Have taken baby steps so far, since I don't have a lot of tech skill in my background. Since this was the 600, I figured I'd take her in to the shop, but it'll probably be one of the last times I do. Next valve check will be on my own for sure.

Thanks again,

john
ADVdrming is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,700
Please remember that the shim over bucket design used on the KLR doesn't lend itself to much valve adjustment/movement..
Once they're set, they tend to remain pretty happy.. I'd recommend a check again at 10K or so, and then you can pretty much forget em' til 25K..

Also, if you're doing them yourself, they share the same exact shim as used on 2 valve BMW K bikes.. If you've got a local BMW dealer, they typically have a mess of the used ones available for sale or trade with your stockers.. (and for some reason, the shims are cheaper from BMW than Kawasaki)
Paper is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Sure thing, John. It's a shame, but you will enjoy working on the bike. I was not much with a wrench pre KLR. (still learning)

If you do decide to check the valves and need shims, let me know, I got your six.

Check everything the dealer did. The oil level should be at the top of the sight glass, not in the middle...even if they swear it.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ADVdrming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Sure thing, John. It's a shame, but you will enjoy working on the bike. I was not much with a wrench pre KLR. (still learning)

If you do decide to check the valves and need shims, let me know, I got your six.

Check everything the dealer did. The oil level should be at the top of the sight glass, not in the middle...even if they swear it.
Thanks fellows, I appreciate it.

Re: the oil: I hear ya. I was planning on changing the oil anyway as soon as I got home, throw the Rotella T in instead of whatever they put in, and also check to make sure they didn't "misplace" the pin in the oil filter. I'm lucky I guess to have 2 BMW dealerships close to by, so, if all else fails, I can pick up some shims from them.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
ADVdrming is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVdrming View Post
Thanks fellows, I appreciate it.

Re: the oil: I hear ya. I was planning on changing the oil anyway as soon as I got home, throw the Rotella T in instead of whatever they put in, and also check to make sure they didn't "misplace" the pin in the oil filter. I'm lucky I guess to have 2 BMW dealerships close to by, so, if all else fails, I can pick up some shims from them.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Now you're on the right track, but if all else fails you PM me the shims you need and I send them to you free of charge. We're kind of like hippies with no hair, fatter, and not as into acid around here. But we like to share.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,623
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
...We're kind of like hippies with no hair, fatter, and not as into acid around here. But we like to share.
Oh, piss and piddle. I'm always the one out of sync.

I thought we were Rastafarians all this time...

T

Tom [email protected]

“The muzzle of the Luger looked like the mouth of the Second Street tunnel, but I didn’t move. Not being bullet proof is an idea I had had to get used to.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte

Sting like a butterfly.
Noli Timere Messorem
Tom Schmitz is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Respect mon.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
ADVdrming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Oh, piss and piddle. I'm always the one out of sync.

I thought we were Rastafarians all this time...

T
Hey Tom, did you find that 6th gear yet? I can send you the diagram if you want... LoL Just kidding
ADVdrming is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Doo, Valves and a ??? sportster65 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 5 05-05-2011 11:42 AM
Any 705 owners with original valves? migrant 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 0 04-16-2010 11:40 PM
Valves Crash How To's & Tech Guides 9 04-02-2010 08:58 PM
Tubes...What size and what valves? benny m 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 1 03-26-2010 08:18 AM
Valves majorlagg 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 13 04-21-2009 10:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome