(Moved) Discussion re: Gen2 balancer adjustment levers - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
(Moved) Discussion re: Gen2 balancer adjustment levers

A question for those of you in the know - is the doo/spring replacement required on the 09's as well?
The back-counter guy at my local Kawi shop said it wasn't necessary, but I gotta woner...
painchaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by painchaser View Post
A question for those of you in the know - is the doo/spring replacement required on the 09's as well?
The back-counter guy at my local Kawi shop said it wasn't necessary, but I gotta woner...
I opened that can of worms in the Wrenching And Mods forum recently. It's still there if you want to read it. Can't figure out how to get a handy link to it for you.

Reach your own conclusions, but take anything the "back counter guy" says with a grain of salt. Just my opinion, there. Sometimes "counter" and "door" are interchangeable when following "back" when it comes to some shops.



planalp is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
4th Gear
 
vatrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by painchaser View Post
A question for those of you in the know - is the doo/spring replacement required on the 09's as well?
The back-counter guy at my local Kawi shop said it wasn't necessary, but I gotta woner...
Hi painchaser, and welcome aboard. The Gen II bikes [08-newer] received a better, more robust balancer idler lever [Doohickey] than the earlier models. To date, [four years of production and counting], I haven't encountered a verified stock doohickey failure on a Gen II bike. The spring that tensions the lever is a problem. It seems the current consensus is to change out the stock factory spring. There are a number of suppliers out there with springs claimed to be superior to the stock Kawasaki spring.

This is all nothing more than my opinion. That opinion seems to be somewhat widespread, and similar to some with far more experience than most:

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/FFT/fftoct09.html

******
ďmany a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceasedĒ- Steinbeck, [I]"Travels with Charlie"
[/I]
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
vatrader is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,390
(Moved) Discussion re: Gen2 balancer adjustment levers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXKLR View Post
Gen I or Gen II, we always replace the Doo and spring with an Eagle Mike's kit. There is just something about having peace of mind knowing his product is in there. Even tho the Gen II is more robust, there was always some slop in the fitment of the doo compared to Mikes Doo. The fitment was much more precise and didn't allow for excessive movement when readjusting.
"Excessive movement when readjusting" is of no consequence, IMHO. Sloppy fit of doohickey on shaft may permit excessive movement of eccentric shaft when engine is running, however, The copnsequences of excessive dynamic eccentric shaft rotation may aggravate chain/sprocket/bearing wear, and invite destructively repetitive vibrations.

Yet . . . ain't none (latter-day doohickeys) broke yet, in four years' service . . . this maintenance-and-repair history moves late-model doohickey replacement closer to the inconsequential column, IMHO. Granted, Eagle Mike's part has better fit-and-finish than OEM components, but . . . the later factory parts may be sufficiently serviceable to draw the "good enjough" rating.
Damocles is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
"Excessive movement when readjusting" is of no consequence, IMHO. Sloppy fit of doohickey on shaft may permit excessive movement of eccentric shaft when engine is running, however, The copnsequences of excessive dynamic eccentric shaft rotation may aggravate chain/sprocket/bearing wear, and invite destructively repetitive vibrations.

Yet . . . ain't none (latter-day doohickeys) broke yet, in four years' service . . . this maintenance-and-repair history moves late-model doohickey replacement closer to the inconsequential column, IMHO. Granted, Eagle Mike's part has better fit-and-finish than OEM components, but . . . the later factory parts may be sufficiently serviceable to draw the "good enjough" rating.
"Good Enjough" from who with what knowledge background? If your followers decide to only upgrade the spring where will they get one? Maybe a Eagle upgrader could sell them a spare spring for $35.

For the rest of you don't be sucked in to "almost good enough". The balancer lever and spring are a critical part of the KLR engine and how well it functions. Are you willing to settle for "almost good enough"?

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
"Good Enjough" from who with what knowledge background? If your followers decide to only upgrade the spring where will they get one? Maybe a Eagle upgrader could sell them a spare spring for $35.

For the rest of you don't be sucked in to "almost good enough". The balancer lever and spring are a critical part of the KLR engine and how well it functions. Are you willing to settle for "almost good enough"?
From where did you obtain YOUR revelation, tomato city; "Buy an Eagle Mike doohickey or you'll burn in eternal hell?"

What is the FAILURE RATE of '08 and later doohickeys, tomato city?

Could it be, I don't know, ZERO?

The purpose of the dooickey is imparting torque to the balancer drive eccentric shaft to remove slack from the drive chain when ADJUSTING the chain tension; and . . . to HOLD the eccentric shaft position when tightened with the hold-down bolt.

Absent ANY evidence of malfunction or failure as the result of faulty design, manufacture, or materials from the latter-day OEM doohickey, I ain't sure lightning will strike you dead, and your KLR engine will turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight, if you DO NOT replace the late-model doohickey with one of Eagle Mikes excellent aftermarket parts.

YMMV, and--I don't gainsay Eagle Mike's developments WITH '07 AND EARLIER doohickeys; however . . . expecting everyone to clone your own paranoia regarding the earlier component, when the later one is a much more robust part, appears unrealistic and maybe somewhat . . . well, the expression, "perfection by possession," comes to mind.

Otherwise, some KLR riders may not want or believe they need aftermarket doohickeys, as you insist everyone does.

Yet, I've an open mind--please share with us veifiable instances of late-model KLR doohickey failure; thanks!

Fit and finish of Eagle Mike's doo's are obviously superior to even the later OEM part, but . . . tomato city, what are the operational service-life advantages of upgrading an '08 or later KLR with an aftermarket doo? As in, increase in mean time/miles between failures; extended operating hours/miles of service life? (Share data, please.)

---------------

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have Eagle Mike doohickey and torsion spring on my '07 KLR650. (Yet, telling others they must avoid the '08 and later OEM doo like the plague, lest they suffer dire consequences, appears alarmist, misleading, and irresponsible, to me.)

Last edited by Damocles; 06-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Damocles is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
From where did you obtain YOUR revelation, tomato city; "Buy an Eagle Mike doohickey or you'll burn in eternal hell?"

What is the FAILURE RATE of '08 and later doohickeys, tomato city?

Could it be, I don't know, ZERO?

The purpose of the dooickey is imparting torque to the balancer drive eccentric shaft to remove slack from the drive chain when ADJUSTING the chain tension; and . . . to HOLD the eccentric shaft position when tightened with the hold-down bolt.

Absent ANY evidence of malfunction or failure as the result of faulty design, manufacture, or materials from the latter-day OEM doohickey, I ain't sure lightning will strike you dead, and your KLR engine will turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight, if you DO NOT replace the late-model doohickey with one of Eagle Mikes excellent aftermarket parts.

YMMV, and--I don't gainsay Eagle Mike's developments WITH '07 AND EARLIER doohickeys; however . . . expecting everyone to clone your own paranoia regarding the earlier component, when the later one is a much more robust part, appears unrealistic and maybe somewhat . . . well, the expression, "perfection by possession," comes to mind.

Otherwise, some KLR riders may not want or believe they need aftermarket doohickeys, as you insist everyone does.

Yet, I've an open mind--please share with us veifiable instances of late-model KLR doohickey failure; thanks!

Fit and finish of Eagle Mike's doo's are obviously superior to even the later OEM part, but . . . tomato city, what are the operational service-life advantages of upgrading an '08 or later KLR with an aftermarket doo? As in, increase in mean time/miles between failures; extended operating hours/miles of service life? (Share data, please.)

---------------

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have Eagle Mike doohickey and torsion spring on my '07 KLR650. (Yet, telling others they must avoid the '08 and later OEM doo like the plague, lest they suffer dire consequences, appears alarmist, misleading, and irresponsible, to me.)
"Could it be, I don't know, ZERO?" I doubt this but you are not far off.

It is not Eagle Mfg & Eng products though all the proven products manufactured for the KLR. We are here to prove what is right for the problem and not what is "almost right".

Seems that some people come to the forums to debate "anything" because they think tey know more than many years and thousands of hours. It really helps to own, ride, and support a KLR650 to gain respect and have credentials about "what is right" for the KLR650. Most of us don't believe in making out KLRs "almost right"

Back to the Subject...

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Member
 
flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,534
Send a message via Yahoo to flash
I have an '08 and did the EM kit mostly to replace the spring, but heck for a few dollars more did the whole thing since I went to the trouble to open it up in the first place.

One thing of note is that it is clocked such that it does give a longer service life, or more adjustability than the OEM and it fits the shaft much tighter. Just a better part.

Gray-haired riders donít get that way from pure luck.

Unknown
flash is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,390
Yeah, back to the subject, indeed.

WHY replace an '08 or later OEM doohickey with an aftermarket part?

Anyone know of any failures of the OEM part?

Anyone capable of disclosing measurable advantages of upgrading the '08-and-later factory component? [EDIT] You make a good point about the extended adjustment range of the Eagle Mike doohickey in your post above, Flash!

So, if asking why one should replace his late-model doohickey, what failure have been recorded with the OEM part, and what quantifiable, measurable advantages he will receive by upgrading is "argumentative," then--I'm arguing, tomato city!

The EM part wins the beauty contest, surely; better fit-and-finish; but--operational significance? Perhaps Kawasaki, in its redesign, produced a part adequately strong and serviceable for the plausible service life of a KLR. If not, maintenance histories should tell the tale.

Last edited by Damocles; 06-13-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Damocles is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 257
My Gen II spring was coil bound after one or two adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I have an '08 and did the EM kit mostly to replace the spring, but heck for a few dollars more did the whole thing since I went to the trouble to open it up in the first place.

One thing of note is that it is clocked such that it does give a longer service life, or more adjustability than the OEM and it fits the shaft much tighter. Just a better part.
That's right, there is also more range of adjustment on the EM part.
Human Ills is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Mileage (Moved) Savage 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 74 05-24-2012 10:46 PM
Balancer chain adjustment thumbs 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 37 06-15-2011 10:22 AM
Inner Tube Discussion planalp 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 8 06-11-2011 05:38 AM
Firearms discussion... Interested?? Paper The Off Topic Lounge 7 02-23-2011 08:17 PM
Balancer Adjustment.... Lockjaw KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 25 02-23-2010 09:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome