Battery Charging - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aubrey Tx
Posts: 13
Battery Charging

Is it ok to charge a battery that is installed in the bike with a battery tender? I have always charged batteries with them off the viehcle. Just bought a new battery tender and was wondering if it would damage the ignition or something.
thumperdrive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperdrive View Post
Is it ok to charge a battery that is installed in the bike with a battery tender? I have always charged batteries with them off the viehcle. Just bought a new battery tender and was wondering if it would damage the ignition or something.
Yea it's allright. I have a short sae cable wired to my battery for charging and tire pump. Like this...



No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aubrey Tx
Posts: 13
Great! And thanks

Great! And thanks
thumperdrive is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,451
Mine's hooked up on the KLR out in the shed right now.

Spec, I have a couple of questions in this area:

I have one of those sae plugs I use for my air compressor already hooked up to the battery. I was thinking of setting it up to charge the battery so I don't have to pull my side guard and panel off just to get to the negative battery terminal. I guess I just need to get an sae adapter for the Battery Tender to plug into it.

Question is, how do you make sure you've got the correct polarity when using a charger? The sae plug obviously will only connect one way, but it seems it would be possible to wire it "backwards."

I'm guessing it's just a matter of following the wires to ensure the hot wire from the charger winds up going to the positive battery terminal? If you made sure of that, I guess you could never hook it up backwards?

Say, just remember that the exposed pin on the sae connector hooked up to the bike battery is the positive wire and make sure the positive wire from the charger goes to the "socket" that pin goes into?

How do you hook up the connector on the charger side to the charger itself? I use the battery tender for my mowers and don't want to make it KLR-specific with just an sae connector instead of the standard alligator clips.

Could you just go to an auto parts store and buy an sae connector with a couple of short wires on it and rig it up so you could just attach the alligator clips from the charger to the wires going to the connector?

Also, the sae connector I use for my air compressor doesn't have a fuse on it: it's just the connector and two wires that came with the compressor itself. Does it really matter if it has a fuse? If so, I could upgrade.

Any advice would be appreciated. It seems pointless to go to the trouble of removing the seat, panel, etc. when that little connector is already hanging out, ready to use.



planalp is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Aubrey Tx
Posts: 13
Battery Charging

I am going to paint the side of the plug that I attach to the red, positive side of the battery.
thumperdrive is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
Mine's hooked up on the KLR out in the shed right now.

Spec, I have a couple of questions in this area:

I have one of those sae plugs I use for my air compressor already hooked up to the battery. I was thinking of setting it up to charge the battery so I don't have to pull my side guard and panel off just to get to the negative battery terminal. I guess I just need to get an sae adapter for the Battery Tender to plug into it.

Question is, how do you make sure you've got the correct polarity when using a charger? The sae plug obviously will only connect one way, but it seems it would be possible to wire it "backwards."

I'm guessing it's just a matter of following the wires to ensure the hot wire from the charger winds up going to the positive battery terminal? If you made sure of that, I guess you could never hook it up backwards?

Say, just remember that the exposed pin on the sae connector hooked up to the bike battery is the positive wire and make sure the positive wire from the charger goes to the "socket" that pin goes into?

How do you hook up the connector on the charger side to the charger itself? I use the battery tender for my mowers and don't want to make it KLR-specific with just an sae connector instead of the standard alligator clips.

Could you just go to an auto parts store and buy an sae connector with a couple of short wires on it and rig it up so you could just attach the alligator clips from the charger to the wires going to the connector?

Also, the sae connector I use for my air compressor doesn't have a fuse on it: it's just the connector and two wires that came with the compressor itself. Does it really matter if it has a fuse? If so, I could upgrade.

Any advice would be appreciated. It seems pointless to go to the trouble of removing the seat, panel, etc. when that little connector is already hanging out, ready to use.

A voltage meter to check polarity would be handy. I don't remember where I got my cable with the fuse, never popped it. Walmart usually has SAE stuff in the auto electrical section or an auto parts store will have them.

My cable hangs down the right side tucked behind the side cover. It has a rubber plug on the end to keep out crud.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperdrive View Post
I am going to paint the side of the plug that I attach to the red, positive side of the battery.
Good idea!



planalp is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW MO
Posts: 5,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
A voltage meter to check polarity would be handy. I don't remember where I got my cable with the fuse, never popped it. Walmart usually has SAE stuff in the auto electrical section or an auto parts store will have them.

My cable hangs down the right side tucked behind the side cover. It has a rubber plug on the end to keep out crud.
Makes sense. I'm going to finally get this done. I also keep my connector tucked behind that side cover and it has a rubber cap/plug on it. Since I don't use it that often, I usually put a couple of turns of black electrical tape around the plug cap.



planalp is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear
 
masterlink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bethlehem,PA
Posts: 689
Eric,
I haves tons of extra cables like you guys are talking about--I will shoot them out to you today...I am going to UPS to ship something else, so it is not any trouble for me.BTW I have a pair of Gerbing heated pants for sale. NEVER USED(my kids both bought "dad" some motorcycle stuff" for Christmas). Oh yeah they are size L ,12volt. No idea what MSRP was, but I guess more than a C note. First $65.00+shipping and they are yours.
Sorry no model number. Gerbing's # is 800-646-5916.


Mark

~Things work out best for those that make the best of the way things work out~
masterlink is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperdrive View Post
Is it ok to charge a battery that is installed in the bike with a battery tender? I have always charged batteries with them off the viehcle. Just bought a new battery tender and was wondering if it would damage the ignition or something.
Just me, maybe, but . . . I thought the entire purpose and modus d'operandi of the battery tender was just that, i.e., charging a battery while installed in the vehicle.
LoneRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to upgrade the charging system... edamron 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 18 01-25-2013 12:44 PM
Charging voltage??? slim40 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 1 03-07-2011 08:29 PM
KLR electrical question (charging system) lexxol 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 6 09-13-2010 07:46 PM
Charging a new AGM Battery Tumbleweed 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 8 10-09-2006 09:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome