Will the bike run without a battery? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
WC417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 38
Will the bike run without a battery?

Hey fellas, my battery has been gettin really weak on me for the past couple weeks but I've been tryin to hold out on buying a new one until pay day. So I've been charging it every couple of days. Well today it left me stranded at work because the battery wasn't strong enough to start it. Well I had a buddy help me push start it but then it immediately died after a few seconds so we tried agian and the same thing happened even when I tried to rev it up. It was almost like it was a fuel problem, but I was just wondering if the bike would even run with out the battery having power. I thought it may have some sort of safety to kill the motor if theres no power.

Weston, 20
2008 KLR 650


a rider looking for adventure
WC417 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:46 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: western north carolina
Posts: 184
well should be like car

if you could turn head light off.. yes it will run..

BUT with running head light, OR any other use of electric,,, bike will die,,asap!!!

fyi,, know a klr 250,an other bikes that have kickstarter,,you can put in some relay thing,,(sorry forget what they call it),, but it just holds enough juice for bike to run = that the bike makes off the stator..

klr 650 does not have a stator..it is electric with starter..
wnc/mtn=klr is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
This is kinda hard to explain, but . . . Generation 2 (2008 and later), the battery IS a factor in KLR ignition.

Generation 1 (through 2007) KLR's don't need no stinkin' batteries to run (because the CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) is powered by ALTERNATING CURRENT directly from the alternator exciter coil, totally separate from the battery power charging and rectifying circuit).

Generation 1 wiring shown; Generation 2 alternators have no exciter coils (red wire in diagram):



Generation 2 KLR's have inductive discharge ignitions, whose ignition coils depend upon 12 VDC (battery voltage) for saturation and spark generation upon collapse of the ignition coil primary windings' electromanetic field precipitated by a thyristor. Kawasaki cleverly calls the latter-day ignition, "FTBI," for "fully-transitorized breakerless ignition."

The significance here, with the new bikes, a dead battery provides a load across the ignition coil primary windings, detracting from spark generation; old bikes, ignition completely independent of the battery.

(This material WILL be on your quiz!)

Last edited by LoneRider; 06-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.
LoneRider is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM
4th Gear
 
Savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,205
Garage
Well I guess that's 1 +1 for the Gen 1's. LOL

Kawasaki KLR650 - Adventure Lite
Tagged KTM250XCF-W - Rocket
Tagged KLX300 - Trail Tractor
'84 XR250R - Retro Ride
RMZ250 - Dirty
CRF80 - Kids
CRF70 - Kids
Savage is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
This is kinda hard to explain, but . . . Generation 2 (2008 and later), the battery IS a factor in KLR ignition.

Generation 1 (through 2007) KLR's don't need no stinkin' batteries to run (because the CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) is powered by ALTERNATING CURRENT directly from the alternator exciter coil, totally separate from the battery power charging and rectifying circuit).

Generation 1 wiring shown; Generation 2 alternators have no exciter coils (red wire in diagram):



Generation 2 KLR's have inductive discharge ignitions, whose ignition coils depend upon 12 VDC (battery voltage) for saturation and spark generation upon collapse of the ignition coil primary windings' electromanetic field precipitated by a thyristor. Kawasaki cleverly calls the latter-day ignition, "FTBI," for "fully-transitorized breakerless ignition."

The significance here, with the new bikes, a dead battery provides a load across the ignition coil primary windings, detracting from spark generation; old bikes, ignition completely independent of the battery.

(This material WILL be on your quiz!)
Excellent info! I have another dual sport bike that runs like crap if the battery is stone dead and I wondered why that was. This explains it perfectly

650Stew is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear
 
ArcticKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: No. CA
Posts: 366
Has anyone ever tried to put in a bypass circuit to allow gen 2s to run without a battery? Just curious.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
ArcticKLR is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
I have had a bad battery before and I had to jump-start it but it stayed running... Assume you checked the fluid level in the battery. That was my problem,; a bit of distilled water and overnight charge and back in business...
fradsham is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticKLR View Post
Has anyone ever tried to put in a bypass circuit to allow gen 2s to run without a battery? Just curious.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
If not impossible, in the "Too Hard" box, IMHO.

The same rectified 12 VDC feeding the battery feeds the ignition coil; so . . . life becomes complex, trying to trick Mother Kawasaki.

NOT TO SAY THE GENERATION 2's WON'T RUN WITH DEFICIENT BATTERIES. Depends upon how low down the battery might be; whether the battery has shorted cells, etc. Only thing--the alternator must overcome whatever load a deficient battery might present to the ignition circuit.

Generation 2 battery down just a bit; as in, won't turn the starter motor? Bump-start it; keep the rpm up for awhile, and--chance are you're good to go, if your battery can accept a charge.

Generation 1? We don't need not stinkin' battery to run!
LoneRider is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear
 
fradsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Paradise, NL, Canada
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post

Generation 2 battery down just a bit; as in, won't turn the starter motor? Bump-start it; keep the rpm up for awhile, and--chance are you're good to go, if your battery can accept a charge.

Generation 1? We don't need not stinkin' battery to run!
I understood hat Gen-2 altenators generated the same flow no matter the RPM.. I could be wrong here...
fradsham is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradsham View Post
I understood hat Gen-2 altenators generated the same flow no matter the RPM.. I could be wrong here...
The output may be relatively stable, but . . . I'd expect some variation in power output between, say, 1250 and 8000 rpm.

If not, just bump-start her and let her idle.
LoneRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery dead after washing the bike - second time Cabrito 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 2 05-29-2011 12:07 PM
Bike Master maintenance free battery Snakeshack 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 3 03-23-2011 05:37 PM
Stock battery for a vintage bike? Lockjaw KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 6 12-16-2009 02:33 AM
Battery???????? JWP6114 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 5 07-13-2008 10:47 AM
battery is good yet bike won't start or light up. chopper72 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 5 10-16-2007 05:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome