08 Motor Removal - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 224
08 Motor Removal

Working on my drain plug repair and was thinking....Can my motor come out in one piece or will I have to pull the head and jug first? As always much thanks for the info....
moriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
MUST you remove the engine, just to have the case welded?

The Generation 2 KLR with the rock-cracked case (after the stock skid plate) was welded on the bike.

Fluids drained, just leaned over!
LoneRider is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriver View Post
Working on my drain plug repair and was thinking....Can my motor come out in one piece or will I have to pull the head and jug first? As always much thanks for the info....
I'm with LoneRider, weld it in place. Stick a piece of wood into the drain hole to stop the heat.

The motor will come out without removing the cylinder. The motor mounts come off. There's a long bolt under the swing arm also.

I would put a jack under the motor before you start pulling the bolts, it's heavy!

It would be a good time to grease up the shock linkage. Be warned if you try to pull the swing arm bolt it's usually corroded in place. Soak it with PB Blaster or similar overnight and use a big hammer and drift.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9

Last edited by Spec; 06-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Spec is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Again, just wondering . . . why can't the engine case be welded while mounted in the frame?
LoneRider is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
Again, just wondering . . . why can't the engine case be welded while mounted in the frame?
Truth is it could if it had to Lonerider. However after my many years of running truck shops and before that playing mechanic I have learned one thing about what I would call non-factory repairs. You kind of get one shot and if you mess that up you end up wishing you would have gone further to start. That being said my plan is to pull it, give it to a skilled metal guy that can make the repair with the engine setting upside down. That will make his job more pleasant and while their he can put a little extra material in that area for me and when its done I will have no concerns that the repair will fail in the future. You know that guy that goes a step to far with everything, thats me.......
moriver is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I'm with LoneRider, weld it in place. Stick a piece of wood into the drain hole to stop the heat.

The motor will come out without removing the cylinder. The motor mounts come off. There's a long bolt under the swing arm also.

I would put a jack under the motor before you start pulling the bolts, it's heavy!

It would be a good time to grease up the shock linkage. Be warned if you try to pull the swing arm bolt it's usually corroded in place. Soak it with PB Blaster or similar overnight and use a big hammer and drift.
Good info Spec and PB is the stuff.....
moriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam Cap Removal planalp 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 6 01-23-2012 08:24 PM
Sticker removal. davidamagruder 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 15 05-21-2011 05:15 PM
Fairing removal basement 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 13 12-02-2009 09:33 AM
Air box removal gescha 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 1 09-03-2009 10:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome