Cogent Dynamics Fork Springs and Racetech Emulators
Finally got around to installing the parts from Rick at Cogent Dynamics. 200lb fork springs and the RT emulators. I've never done anything with fork springs before, so I was a bit apprehensive about tackling this one. It was really quite an easy task and I would not hesitate doing it again. The thing that took the longest was deburring the holes I drilled in the damper. I wanted to be sure that I got absolutely every bit of crud out of there.
Took her for a spin and the first thing I noticed was that I got shorter somehow between yesterday and today! Sleeping can do things like that. You never go to bed with a hangover, you wake up with one... Its the sleeping that does that sort of thing, not the drinking... Cruel, eh? The front of the bike no longer sags like it did with the OEM springs. At 6'3", it is a welcome bonus for me. I only had a chance to ride in town today but most of the roads in the area are in worse shape than some trails I've been on. It did feel a bit stiffer but not in a bad way. The front end seemed more predictable than before. Cornering felt good and boosted my confidence a notch. Can't wait to get it in the dirt to see how it reacts.
Just some tidbits for those thinking of doing this mod. It's easier than you think! When drilling the holes in the damper, use a v-block to make life easier. Using 1" Sch40 PVC for the spacers is easier than cutting the stock spacer. For getting the oil quantity correct, I hooked up a straw from a squirt bottle to my Mighty-Vac vacuum pump. Marked the correct distance on the straw with a Sharpie and held it in place while pumping out the excess fork oil. Piece of cake!
The fork mod along with the Moab rear shock (installed in March) makes a big difference in the attitude and handling of the KLR. It really feels like a different bike... Better in every way.
01 Jeep XJ w/ 200,000 miles as of 3-26-11