Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
1000 km Service
hey guys, been lurking for a while now and picked up my 2013 KLR 650 a couple weeks ago. I've replaced the oil and filter a couple times so far and installed a magnetic drain plug on the first change. it's time for the first factory scheduled maintenance and i've got a couple rainy days in the forecast to get it done. the dealership did a really good job of marking most fasteners, so i have done and can do again a quick visual on most bolts and nuts.
my plan is:
- replace oil and filter
- adjust clutch and throttle cables
- adjust, clean and lubricate drive chain
- check fluid (coolant, brake) levels and look for leaks
- check all hoses, brake lines and gear clamps
- play the xylophone on my spokes to listen for loose spokes, snug up if required
- check steering play
- visually inspect all marked fasteners for movement
- check the torque on front axle, caliper mounting bolts, exhaust, handle bars, fork clamps, engine mounts, sub frame bolts, foot peg bolts, suspension bolts, swing arm.
i bought some raising links and will probably be installing them as well. so i will also likely take apart the rear suspension and swing arm for a good lubing with a water proof grease.
also, while i have the tank and fairings off i'm thinking about doing a valve check and adjustment if required. contemplating advancing the exhaust cam, while i'm in there....
so my questions to you guys are....
- should i attempt to adjust the balancer chain tension? i know it needs to be replaced and isn't scheduled for adjustment for a long time but....
- should i blue loctite all the fairing and skid plate fasteners?
- does the steering need to be taken apart and greased now or can it wait till the winter? (assuming play is fine)
- is there anything else that should be looked at right away?