Riding season done:( time for some tinkering. - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.
Posts: 28
Riding season done:( time for some tinkering.

Well no more riding for another 5 months at least, so I will try to do some stuff on the bike. My bike has 1750 km's on it and I was wondering what is a good time to do the doohickey, or is it "the sooner the better". Also I purchased an MRA Vario touring windscreen for it when I bought it, but I dont think it does much for wind protection, I still get quite a bit of wind buffeting, any advice on what type of windscreen would work better than this one would be great. Iam 5' 11", the 2011 bike is completely stock. Thanks.
dntlkbak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,479
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
Yes, the sooner the better. Get it done and out of mind.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Galena, Il
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Steve Krause
I do 80% road riding and added a Cee Baily adjustable screen last year. A little pricey but, no regrets!
Steve Krause is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntlkbak View Post
Well no more riding for another 5 months at least, so I will try to do some stuff on the bike. My bike has 1750 km's on it and I was wondering what is a good time to do the doohickey, or is it "the sooner the better". Also I purchased an MRA Vario touring windscreen for it when I bought it, but I dont think it does much for wind protection, I still get quite a bit of wind buffeting, any advice on what type of windscreen would work better than this one would be great. Iam 5' 11", the 2011 bike is completely stock. Thanks.

I went with a Laminar Lip on my 2011 and have been very happy over 16000k of all kinds of riding and weather! No issue riding visor open at highway speed.
Regards....justjeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
I went with a Laminar Lip on my 2011 and have been very happy over 16000k of all kinds of riding and weather! No issue riding visor open at highway speed.
Regards....justjeff
Hey Jeff, I get a lot of buffeting with my stock extended windshield. If you have one, could you post a pic of your laminar lip windshield?

650Stew is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Stew View Post
Hey Jeff, I get a lot of buffeting with my stock extended windshield. If you have one, could you post a pic of your laminar lip windshield?


One of the best pics I could find in my library. It goes on over top of the origional windshield and through magic redirects the air up and around you. I get just a little buffeting. Two links to where I got mine from:
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...?productid=212
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=7329
Regards....justjeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!

Last edited by justjeff; 11-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.
justjeff is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post


One of the best pics I could find in my library. It goes on over top of the origional windshield and through magic redirects the air up and around you. I get just a little buffeting. Two links to where I got mine from:
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...?productid=212
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=7329
Regards....justjeff
Nice! Mine buffets my helmet pretty good, and being as I wear glasses it distorts my vision to an extent. I really notice it when I jump from the KLR to the oldwing! Lol! Thanky kindly for the pic and links Jeff!

650Stew is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lac La Biche Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Stew View Post
Nice! Mine buffets my helmet pretty good, and being as I wear glasses it distorts my vision to an extent. I really notice it when I jump from the KLR to the oldwing! Lol! Thanky kindly for the pic and links Jeff!
No worries! In the spring you can take mine for a ride to see if you like it!! Of course thats in about SIX MONTHS!!
Regards....Jeff

It's not a Tractor....It's a LOCOMOTIVE!! Chugga Chugga
Woooo WOOOOO!!!!!
justjeff is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
6 looooooong months! Lol
Snowblowers getting a workout already!

650Stew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. NH. MRobo Introductions 8 10-29-2013 07:29 PM
Is the season over yet.....???? willys KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 10 10-21-2012 09:37 AM
Riding season in Central Oregon pismocycleguy The Off Topic Lounge 1 09-08-2012 05:50 PM
night time trail riding Buildit Travel Log & Trip Reports 6 11-17-2011 12:34 PM
Last ride of the season bigdog Show Off Your Bike 1 11-12-2008 07:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome