2008 KLR coolant always low after ride
I had a cracked radiator in the middle of a desert: radiator ran dry but I had to keep going (or get stuck in a desert). I operated the bike at low RPM for 30 minutes on a dry radiator - cringing the whole way. I should have pee'd in it - stupid. I made it to a radiator shop and had the radiator repaired and pressure tested successfully.
It's been two weeks and 3000 miles since the incident, the bike runs fine, starts smoothly hot and cold, and does not overheat even when in start/stop traffic for several hours.
However, after every ride, when I open the radiator it's drained down to the level of the top fins.
I'm guessing it's a leaky head gasket? Observations:
- I see lots of bubbles and pulsing in the coolant when running the engine hot (e.g. impeller is working?), but ... I see no bubbles in the coolant in the radiator when running the engine cold.
- There is no visible oil in the coolant (in either the radiator or the reservoir).
- I have not noticed white smoke coming from exhaust pipe.
- I have been told there was fluid coming out of the back of my bike when slowing down (coolant being ejected from the top of the coolant reservoir?)
- I can blow air through the coolant bottom hose which causes coolant to blow out the back of the bike, so there are no blockages in the feeder tube.
- No visible coolant in the oil sump (not white or frothy)
What other diagnostic tests can I do? I don't have a pressure gauge to do a leak down test with, and I'd rather order the parts before I take it to a mechanic as parts will take weeks to arrive.
Last edited by aidanlister; 01-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.