Looking for some ideas and confirmation. I already know how I'm going to try to fix it, just wondering if anyone else has a better (cheap) fix.
I was riding a couple of weeks ago and had just changed the front sprocket over to my 16T for the road trip. Now here's where stupid comes in.
I didn't get the C-clip on the master link all the way, and it came off on my way home after roughly 40 miles.
Well the chain took a good swipe at the case when it left the bike, and an oil leak started right after that. I thought it was the output shaft seal damaged in there and replaced that. No good, still leaks. Rode it tonight, leaked, and I cleaned it off with some brake cleaner. All nice and dry until I started it up.
That's when I could see oil seeping out of the oil galley tapered plug behind the sprocket.
I'm going to tap the taper plug and see if it moves, and reset it if I can get a clean shot at it, or replace it. Problem is, a good portion of the outside of the galley was shaved off.
Plan #2 is to TIG weld it right over the plug.
Comments, ideas, condemnations, and no, I've already ruled out JB weld.