What the heck does this clear tube go to? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: lynchburg VA
Posts: 29
What the heck does this clear tube go to?

I was riding through the snow yesterday and afterwards noticed this clear tube just dangling. It has a black plug in one end and a clamp on the other. I have no idea what this goes to. Any help


darkhorse720 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,617
darkhorse 720,
That tube, is the 'Drain Tube' from the CLEAN AIR side of the air filter.
Drain IT, clean it if you wish. But put it back ON!
You do not want to be sucking ANY dust / dirt into your motor!

I will suggest, that you give year reference in future postings.

And I WOULD SHORTEN that tube, right up to the TIE Strap, do NOT forget to plug IT.
In fact, check to SEE that it IS still plugged, from time to time.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is online now  
post #3 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear
 
clogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 326
Plug coming out of mine may have been cause of start of oil burning?

"Chet from Chattanooga"
2009 KLR, blue
clogan is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
darkhorse 720,
That tube, is the 'Drain Tube' from the CLEAN AIR side of the air filter.
Drain IT, clean it if you wish. But put it back ON!
You do not want to be sucking ANY dust / dirt into your motor!

I will suggest, that you give year reference in future postings.

And I WOULD SHORTEN that tube, right up to the TIE Strap, do NOT forget to plug IT.
In fact, check to SEE that it IS still plugged, from time to time.

No that tube is on the aircleaner side, the "dirty" air. The only thing that connects to the "clean" air side (after the air filter) is the crankcase vent. I can't get the schematic to embed here's the link to the fiche select aircleaner.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9

Last edited by Spec; 03-08-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Spec is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
Plug coming out of mine may have been cause of start of oil burning?

No Kawasaki is the cause of the oil burning!

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
No that tube is on the aircleaner side, the "dirty" air. The only thing that connects to the "clean" air side (after the air filter) is the crankcase vent. I can't get the schematic to embed here's the link to the fiche select aircleaner.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2
Spec,
You are Incorrect!
Gen2 bike, has a rubber flapper / one-way valve on rear nipple (dirty air side) and they drip on the forward edge of the r. fender / r.shock protector.
The first 3 years of Gen 2 bikes, had a black hose with a clear bottle and a plug, to drain the Clean Side.
Beginning with 2011, Gen 2 bikes, they have a larger diameter clear hose with a plug, to drain the Clean Side.

Even the Gen 1 bikes are supposed have a Black 'Clean Air' Drain Hose.

Check the parts screens.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is online now  
post #7 of 20 Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
4th Gear
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Spec,
You are Incorrect!
Gen2 bike, has a rubber flapper / one-way valve on rear nipple (dirty air side) and they drip on the forward edge of the r. fender / r.shock protector.
The first 3 years of Gen 2 bikes, had a black hose with a clear bottle and a plug, to drain the Clean Side.
Beginning with 2011, Gen 2 bikes, they have a larger diameter clear hose with a plug, to drain the Clean Side.

Even the Gen 1 bikes are supposed have a Black 'Clean Air' Drain Hose.

Check the parts screens.
There isn't a low spot on the carb side for a drain, no airbox on that side. The aircleaner sits slightly higher and the short intake angles down a bit. There wouldn't be anything to drain on that side anyway. The crankcase vent connects on that side but vapors not liquids are being pulled into the intake.


No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Moderator
 
klr4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Sask , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,496
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr
I have to admit I was confused about that myself. Today while in the garage I checked it out.
On my 2004 there is a black tube from the air box with a clear bottle near the bottom which has a short tube and a plug. The tube however, originates on the dirty air side.

My Kaw Barn - 2004 KLR, 2006 Concours (sold), 1997 Bayou 400.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

<--- Please fill in the 'Location' on your personal profile page. User CP/Edit Your Details

This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.
klr4evr is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
There isn't a low spot on the carb side for a drain, no airbox on that side. The aircleaner sits slightly higher and the short intake angles down a bit. There wouldn't be anything to drain on that side anyway. The crankcase vent connects on that side but vapors not liquids are being pulled into the intake.

Guys,
What looks at First Glance, in the diagram as the Most Forward 'flapper valve, 49006', is Actually the Most Left and REARWARD. Between the snorkel intake and the battery! Above the Chain Guard!

The drain tube '92192A' (92192-0883), is Ahead of the other 'flapper valve', '49006' (49006-1211), which is above the fender.

If you don't believe me, remove the air filter and spray carb cleaner thru the screen! Then spray carb cleaner into the front L.H. corner of the dirty air box.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Neutral
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ravensdale, wa.
Posts: 5
I have a new edition 2014 with about fifty miles on it. Is it my imagination, or is this really a big heavy wide street bike pretending to be something else ? My impression is about 85% street and 15% off-road. Couldn't be happier with it other than I'll be real careful about where I take it.
ravensdale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats this clear tube in carb?? stassan 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 22 05-15-2016 10:59 PM
Where the heck are all the off road riders Arkansas DaveO430 Deep South Riders 17 02-12-2016 10:53 PM
You clear to ride? Lockjaw Never let your guard down 9 05-19-2010 07:58 PM
oh HELL yes! (or heck) Lockjaw KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 3 08-22-2009 01:58 PM
Okay, what the heck........... jstang Introductions 1 10-05-2006 09:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome