TemporaryEscapee, I refer you to a South African gentleman who completed a 45,000 mile (or so) ride of the western hemisphere last year on a KLR650, "Wotnext:"
Riding through the Americas | Adventure Rider
(Place cursor on colored text and left-click for access to his ride report.)
You may contact "Wotnext" (Peter) by registering on the Adventure Rider forum and starting a "conversation" (their designation of personal communication/private messages) with him.
Among the modifications to his bike, Peter installed a 10-gallon fuel tank:
Peter has now returned to South Africa; I confidently believe he will gladly share his experience with you.
Here's a list of his mods; lifted from his ride report:
This was added to my KLR to make it even better:
1. Moab rear shock Cogent Dynamics - purpose made
2. Progressive front springs Cogent Dynamics
3. Emulators Cogent Dynamics
4. Doohickey with torsion spring EM
5. Sub frame drill through kit EM
7. 10 gallon IMS tank (Yee Hah!)
8. S/Steel front brake line
9. Happy Trails skid plate ( nice and high to give some protection to the Water pump.
10. New sealed , ''no maintenance battery''
11. Moose racing hand guards
12. Pro Taper 7/8 aluminium handle bars
13. Rox handle bar risers
14. Heated grips with multi stage controller
15. Heated gear controller (Digital)
16. PDM 60 Rowe Electronics. This is a sweet little control box for all electronic accessories. Set it up the way you want to and if something trips just switch the engine off and back on to reset it as before.
17. Bajaworx touring windshield
18. Acerbis lower front fender
19. Fork brace and lower fender kit (EM)
20. Aluminium dashboard to hold voltmeter,12v compressor switch and 12v cigarette type power outlet. Kindly powder coated byy Alpheus
20. Digital voltmeter, marine grade
21. Safety oil filler cap (EM)
22 .Prevailing torque nut for front sprocket. (EM)
23. 22 cent mode a slide drilled
24. Highway pegs
25. Mesh headlight ptotector.
26. LED flashing rear tail light kit
27. Dirt racks pannier racks modded for soft bags
28. Two, covered and hinged lid 12v take offs in left side panel for heated gear and the compressor
29. Moose racing longer gear shift
30. Rear master cylinder protector
31. Bolt upgrade for carb
32. Bolt upgrade for oil filter plate
33. Mega tool tube mounted under left side of seat (on pannier rack
34. PVC tool tube for tyre changing kit mounted on highway pegs
35. Rear licnce plate mod with ''built in' lighting
36. Ram universal ball joint mount for the GPS
37. ALL electrical wiring sheathed and rub points protected
38. Uni air filter
39. De californicated.
(An African term used in instances of surprise, confoundedness, sorrow, exitement and when you just don't have any more words to express yourself. This word is used often and the meaning is ALL in the tone.