Oil question. - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
tntom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 33
Oil question.

Sorry I looked and didn't find what I was looking for. I just bought my first KLR. 2008 to change oil. I have read a lot of good stuff about Rotella T 15w40. Is that ok and is it diesel oil?
Thanks

Tom
tntom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,338
Yes, and . . . yes!

IMHO; contrary opinions welcomed!

===============

Seriously, the Kawasaki Owners and Service Manuals say, more or less, "If it flows from a bottle, it's o.k. to use for KLR650s." In other words, the oil recommendations remain rather BROAD.

I'm sure Genuine Kawasaki Motorcycle oil is just fine, too, pdwestman!
Damocles is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,551
tntom,
Ya' might do some reading over here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-mo...-thread-5.html

My chosen oil is apparently kicking the crap out of the 'Universal Averages' of used KLR oils. Go to post #1 after reading the ten postings of the link. Read the very first paragraph that Blackstone Labs replied to me.

I can only guess that a fair number of the 30+ samples which currently makeup the BS labs U.A. might have been Rotella of one flavor or another.

Rotella T 15W40 apparently has received the JASO MA motorcycle rating. But I believe mine is Better.
I have challenged any and all to prove me incorrect, with a better lab report. 3000 or 5000 miles traveled.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting

Last edited by pdwestman; 02-23-2016 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
pdwestman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 PM
Lifetime Member
 
650Stew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,480
Biggest thing with a KLR (especially the 08's and 09's) is to keep an eagle eye on the level regardless of the brand you use. Some of these bikes get a little thirsty if you run them at higher rpm for extended periods and really bad things happen when they get too low!

Welcome and congrats on the new wheels!
650Stew is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650Stew View Post
Biggest thing with a KLR (especially the 08's and 09's) is to keep an eagle eye on the level regardless of the brand you use. Some of these bikes get a little thirsty if you run them at higher rpm for extended periods and really bad things happen when they get too low!

Welcome and congrats on the new wheels!
Ain't that the truth. My 08 needs a top off once a week. I try to tell myself it keeps the oil cleaner longer.

(I could have bought a showroom 07 for half the price.) Where's my time machine...




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear
 
Fox Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
tntom,
Ya' might do some reading over here,
http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-mo...-thread-5.html

My chosen oil is apparently kicking the crap out of the 'Universal Averages' of used KLR oils. Go to post #1 after reading the ten postings of the link. Read the very first paragraph that Blackstone Labs replied to me.

I can only guess that a fair number of the 30+ samples which currently makeup the BS labs U.A. might have been Rotella of one flavor or another.

Rotella T 15W40 apparently has received the JASO MA motorcycle rating. But I believe mine is Better.
I have challenged any and all to prove me incorrect, with a better lab report. 3000 or 5000 miles traveled.
You running the conventional or the synthetic?

'11 KLR 650: KLR Full Bag Kit, 22 Mod, Thermo-Bob w/ Overlay, Angular Mirrors, Studebaker Doo, Tusk Drain Plug, UNI Filter, K761's, ODI Emig Grips, LED Cluster & Tag, Digital Clock w/ Temp, Eibach 400# RR, Progressive FR w/ adj Pre-load caps, ZG Double Bubble

'07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 Factory '17 Highball Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange
Slammin' Tunes!
Fox Fader is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 02-24-2016, 02:29 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 18
A good quality 10/40 car oil works good to thats what I use
KLRogu is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-2016, 08:24 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
You running the conventional or the synthetic?
Troy,
It is the standard petroleum Kawasaki 10W40 Motorcycle Oil!
Kawasaki part # K61021-202A. Blended to Kawasaki Specs by ????.

I have and still do, "dare anyone" to attempt to beat its performance!
Then I'll try their Semi-Synthetic. If that isn't 'good enough', then I try their FULL Synthetic to beat anyone that can show me lower ppm per 1000 miles traveled, (3000 mile minimum run please, apples to apples) on an official oil report!

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear
 
Fox Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Troy,
It is the standard petroleum Kawasaki 10W40 Motorcycle Oil!
Kawasaki part # K61021-202A. Blended to Kawasaki Specs by ????.

I have and still do, "dare anyone" to attempt to beat its performance!
Then I'll try their Semi-Synthetic. If that isn't 'good enough', then I try their FULL Synthetic to beat anyone that can show me lower ppm per 1000 miles traveled, (3000 mile minimum run please, apples to apples) on an official oil report!
Thanks for the info, Paul. I'll go that route since it's right here at work.

'11 KLR 650: KLR Full Bag Kit, 22 Mod, Thermo-Bob w/ Overlay, Angular Mirrors, Studebaker Doo, Tusk Drain Plug, UNI Filter, K761's, ODI Emig Grips, LED Cluster & Tag, Digital Clock w/ Temp, Eibach 400# RR, Progressive FR w/ adj Pre-load caps, ZG Double Bubble

'07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 Factory '17 Highball Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange
Slammin' Tunes!
Fox Fader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil leak question Crashoverride 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 3 10-31-2015 06:06 PM
Another Oil Question WVBassFan 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 23 06-26-2012 08:03 AM
Oil Filter question LittleSteve 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 5 05-28-2012 09:59 AM
Oil Change Question MarKLR 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 10 05-16-2012 01:20 PM
another oil question Kawi_KLR650 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 28 07-14-2008 05:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome