looking at getting new exhaust! - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
not2serious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver wa
Posts: 27
looking at getting new exhaust!

I have a chance to get a DG- V2 slip on exhaust. anyone have any time with these? I know the stock exhaust is suppost to be better than most bust I like the sound of the dg and its pretty cheap. any thoughts would be helpfull.
not2serious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 335
I looked at that exhaust as well. I couldn't seem to find much on here when searching. I ended up with the fmf powercore. So I will give ya a little insight on that if it helps. It's designed for stock jetting but can be jetted for optimum performance. The fitment was excellent. It touches the right side panel but no damage at all after a 1000 miles. Virtually no decel pop and only the occasional pop from first to second or second to third. Ill probably rejet when I replace the spark plug, but it runs fine stock. It's also not really that loud in my opinion. No wheres near as loud as the hmf I had on my ZX6R or any harley pipes.

Oh almost forgot, I did read some fitment issues on the DG that turned me off when reading some reviews on multiple sites. And if I remember correctly I believe that one is a true slip on as it doesn't use a hose clamp from the mid section to the header. I wasn't thrilled about that as I figured it might be prone to leaking.

Last edited by Back2Kawi; 07-19-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Back2Kawi is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 10:23 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,349
I'd be concerned about how loud the DG pipe is.....packing type silencers' noise suppression abilities is largely dictated by the muffler length....which is really small on that one.

Many people will say your crazy for wanting an aftermarket silencer on a KLR, but I'm not one of them. I agree with the collective wisdom on two things: there is no significant power boost to be had with an aftermarket silencer and secondly, that there are far more important mods for a KLR given the price of them....

that said, I run aftermarket silencers on both KLR's and have researched the subject extensively. I use them mainly for the weight loss (stock is a whopping 11.7 lbs), better looks and a nicer (IMO) tone. ....I don't like loud pipes or loud bikes but I certainly can do without the factory "Briggs & Stratton" soundtrack. ;-)

My choices, in order:

- #1) LeoVince X3. This silencer is the only one (other than stock and the ridiculously expensive Australian Staintune) that doesn't require repacking. It's 94 db and weighs just over 7lbs. USFS compliant and comes with a spark arrestor. It can be hard to find.

- #2) Lexx; cheap, light, also 94db with optional quiet insert. best bang for the buck.

- #3) FMF Q4; lightest (5.7lbs), ORV park friendly at 96db max but still louder than the first two. Very easy 1 pce install.


2 cents,
Dave
not2serious and DeltaWolf like this.
DPelletier is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
- #1) LeoVince X3. This silencer is the only one (other than stock and the ridiculously expensive Australian Staintune) that doesn't require repacking. It's 94 db and weighs just over 7lbs. USFS compliant and comes with a spark arrestor. It can be hard to find.
I contacted Procircuit. Their T5 for the KLR doesn't require repacking. However, I couldn't find anybody that had one or even a picture of one on the bike. That being said, I went a different route.
Back2Kawi is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Kawi View Post
I contacted Procircuit. Their T5 for the KLR doesn't require repacking. However, I couldn't find anybody that had one or even a picture of one on the bike. That being said, I went a different route.
Funny; from their website:

Slip-On Description:
The T-5 Stainless Slip-On Silencer for the Kawasaki KLR650 is a mechanical silencer that comes with an internal perf-core surrounded by packing. The T-5 Stainless Slip-On Silencer is designed for a rider looking for an inexpensive, easy-to-install, lightweight performance silencer that can bolt right onto their stock head pipe.

Features Include:
Perf-core
Aluminum muffler brackets
Aluminum canister
Stainless steel mid pipe and end-cap
TIG welded
Asymmetric muffler design
Removable USFS approved spark arrestor and optional insert for closed course racing



....looks like the same basic silencer as all the rest of the packing types. Without any sound data, I wouldn't buy it....particularly at that price. The Q4 is cheaper, is also USFS approved with a spark arrestor and has been measured at 96db on a KLR.

so, do tell what you decided,

Dave
DPelletier is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 335
They do use some packing but it is not designed to be serviced. The T5 for the KLR is the only one with a mechanical baffle and rivets. He didn't specify as to what type of packing material was used in the manufacturing process. However, he did state that it does not get repacked.

Other T5's for other rides don't have a mechanical baffle and use allen heads for repacking purposes.

Last edited by Back2Kawi; 07-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Back2Kawi is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Kawi View Post
They do use some packing but it is not designed to be serviced. The T5 for the KLR is the only one with a mechanical baffle and rivets. He didn't specify as to what type of packing material was used in the manufacturing process. However, he did state that it does not get repacked.

Other T5's for other rides don't have a mechanical baffle and use allen heads for repacking purposes.
Hmmm; no mention of baffles at all in that write up which is talking specifically about the pipe used on the KLR. Personally, I'd want to verify that as either the guy you spoke with or the write up is incorrect/misleading. I'm certainly not questioning you ...anyhow, without any sound data, and the $465.00 price tag, I'd pass.

Dave
DPelletier is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
not2serious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver wa
Posts: 27
Im gonna do some research.
not2serious is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
not2serious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver wa
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Kawi View Post
I looked at that exhaust as well. I couldn't seem to find much on here when searching. I ended up with the fmf powercore. So I will give ya a little insight on that if it helps. It's designed for stock jetting but can be jetted for optimum performance. The fitment was excellent. It touches the right side panel but no damage at all after a 1000 miles. Virtually no decel pop and only the occasional pop from first to second or second to third. Ill probably rejet when I replace the spark plug, but it runs fine stock. It's also not really that loud in my opinion. No wheres near as loud as the hmf I had on my ZX6R or any harley pipes.

Oh almost forgot, I did read some fitment issues on the DG that turned me off when reading some reviews on multiple sites. And if I remember correctly I believe that one is a true slip on as it doesn't use a hose clamp from the mid section to the header. I wasn't thrilled about that as I figured it might be prone to leaking.
Does the powercore come with that yellow sticker already on it or do they allow you to install that? Not a fan of red and yellow
not2serious is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2serious View Post
Does the powercore come with that yellow sticker already on it or do they allow you to install that? Not a fan of red and yellow
If someone 'sticks' an FMF sticker on a four-stroke muffler, it will probably be 'Burnt, Black as coal' in short order!

I personally BURNT the nylon stitching OUT of a pair of Slipstreamer Cold Weather gloves in about 2 seconds of KLR muffler contact back in October 1987! I did make it home, but the seams were starting to come apart! (Two Stroke mufflers are only about 1/3rd the temp! Nice hand warmers.)

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust Randyw 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 7 01-30-2013 10:00 AM
I Want New Exhaust Please moriver 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 13 04-10-2012 07:28 PM
Exhaust kyjohn 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 14 10-04-2011 04:21 PM
What exhaust for my 09? Jrs1899 KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 10 07-05-2011 08:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome