Heat? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
Toney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oliver Springs TN
Posts: 762
Heat?

I've been thinking about the heat that comes out the side fairing from the radiator. Why couldn't you add three snaps to the side fairing and snap on some triangle shaped nylon material in front of the radiator air exhaust. It would allow you to stick your knees up into the pocket it created. I'd think it would block the wind and direct the heat over your legs. Seems like there's a good bit of heat coming out that gets blown away. I wouldn't think it would cause overheating because it wouldn't be that sealed. Thoughts???? I'm riding with heated grips, a heated jacket and socks but my legs get cold.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.” Hitchens
Toney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 11:06 AM
1st Gear
 
Sender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
There are some touring bikes like Honda that have fairing pieces that your knees talking to that catch that heat. I'm not sure if it's a Honda but I've seen something along the lines of what you're talking about and it makes sense to me. I was looking at my bike yesterday and thinking the same thing. I live west of Chicago and I'm still riding to work and it was 39 degrees this morning and my legs are cold.

Sender1,
design and fabricate
Sender1 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,572
Garage
Take a look at Craig Vetter's faired KLR650.

I think this would be quite ideal for cold-weather riding.

Vetter-Alcan-fairingP2

If he was making them for more than just himself and his wife I'd be buying one.

Your idea is a good one. I've looked around for dolphin lowers with no success. Perhaps a fabric is the way to go.

Tom

Tom [email protected]

“She went out slowly. The way she did it hadn’t been learned at business college.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 11-15-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 02:02 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,540
Toney,
I have ridden with my feet on the passenger pegs many times to catch the heat from the radiator and the exhaust system.

Tom,
I was 10 miles up the Sinks Canyon Hwy 131 Sunday when I says to self "I should have grabbed the IR thermometer!" and measured Oil Temp on a cool/cold ride, with all my mods.

I grabbed it as quickly as I could when I rolled up to the shop door, 70 miles and 1.5hr later.
205f. at the center of filter. 205f. below the clutch. 211f. above the Doo-Hickey adjuster. Ambient temp on Main St. was probably 55f.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
Toney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oliver Springs TN
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Take a look at Craig Vetter's faired KLR650.

I think this would be quite ideal for cold-weather riding.

Vetter-Alcan-fairingP2

If he was making them for more than just himself and his wife I'd be buying one.

Your idea is a good one. I've looked around for dolphin lowers with no success. Perhaps a fabric is the way to go.

Tom
Personally,,, That fairing seems a little much. I've had wings with fairings that large but on a KLR it seems like a monster.

You lost me on the "dolphin lowers". I even Googled it to see if I've fallen behind on some new motorcycle term. I think of myself as pretty up to date. I don't even call my KLR an enduro. LOL.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.” Hitchens
Toney is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
Toney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oliver Springs TN
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sender1 View Post
There are some touring bikes like Honda that have fairing pieces that your knees talking to that catch that heat. I'm not sure if it's a Honda but I've seen something along the lines of what you're talking about and it makes sense to me. I was looking at my bike yesterday and thinking the same thing. I live west of Chicago and I'm still riding to work and it was 39 degrees this morning and my legs are cold.

Sender1,
design and fabricate
My wing had these:

You could adjust airflow so you got more or less.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.” Hitchens
Toney is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
Toney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oliver Springs TN
Posts: 762
Maybe something like this:

I think it's a V-strom. Looks like a Home Depot item. I get most of my KLR stuff there.





“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.” Hitchens

Last edited by Toney; 11-15-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Toney is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,572
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Toney,
I have ridden with my feet on the passenger pegs many times to catch the heat from the radiator and the exhaust system.

Tom,
I was 10 miles up the Sinks Canyon Hwy 131 Sunday when I says to self "I should have grabbed the IR thermometer!" and measured Oil Temp on a cool/cold ride, with all my mods.

I grabbed it as quickly as I could when I rolled up to the shop door, 70 miles and 1.5hr later.
205f. at the center of filter. 205f. below the clutch. 211f. above the Doo-Hickey adjuster. Ambient temp on Main St. was probably 55f.
That's really pretty cold, isn't it? I mean for oil, not the 55F on Main Street which is downright hot for Lander in November.

Tom

Tom [email protected]

“She went out slowly. The way she did it hadn’t been learned at business college.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 11-15-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,572
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney View Post
Personally,,, That fairing seems a little much. I've had wings with fairings that large but on a KLR it seems like a monster.

You lost me on the "dolphin lowers". I even Googled it to see if I've fallen behind on some new motorcycle term. I think of myself as pretty up to date. I don't even call my KLR an enduro. LOL.
Craig is really pretty good at focussing on function over form. When he was building the Windjammers you could get optional lowers. That was awonderful fairing.

"Dolphin lowers"; you haven't fallen behind. It is an old term.

Back in the day when all bikes were naked bikes and you wanted to build a sport bike they had these things called 'dolphin fairings'. They looked like this:


There were semi-dolphin fairings that looked like this:

Some of the manufacturers made detachable lowers for your semi-dolphin, thus 'dolphin lowers'.

All of the old manufacturers, Vetter, Wixom, Bates, Sprint, Krauser etc are long gone, so you can't find this sort of stuff anymore as a general purpose item. There are a couple of compnaies making re-pop stuff, but it's pretty specific and spendy.

Vetter is the only person who has made anything remotely decent for the KLR, and he's gotten into hyper-miling. He seems to have dropped the project several years ago in favor of doing the hyper-miling thing.

This is where the term came from:



Tom
klrhino likes this.

Tom [email protected]

“She went out slowly. The way she did it hadn’t been learned at business college.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-15-2016, 04:05 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
That's really pretty cold, isn't it? I mean for oil, not the 55F on Main Street which is downright hot for Lander in November.

Tom
For a mile of Main street at 30 mph, for the oil to still be the same as coolant temp in an all aluminum engine is probably all we are gonna' get!
Three years ago I was only seeing 175f. at 65mph in similar ambient temps. It is recorded in my oil pressure thread, somewhere.
Here's some older numbers, http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wr...ride-data.html

Dang near 70f. outside right now! Whew-hooo! I took a couple of Mains just a bit ago, on a used Vulcan 1500. A few bikes out.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting

Last edited by pdwestman; 11-15-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added link
pdwestman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beating the heat? Toney KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 4 08-10-2016 11:53 PM
Exhaust Heat frostbitevinnie 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 6 06-07-2016 09:01 PM
Heat Guage ChutingVa 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 12 08-18-2014 09:41 AM
Heat Help Please tat2matt 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 4 05-06-2010 08:14 PM
Heat Shield basement 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 16 12-11-2009 10:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome