2017 KLR 650 issues - Page 2 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM
2nd Gear
 
Squidly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Nothing devilish about the question at all! The probability of failure remains a basis for upgrading the doohickey.

Still, how many KLR650s, percentage-wise, have aftermarket upgraded doohickeys?

(The population of interest INCLUDES KLR650s whose owners do not have access or rarely visit the Internet concerning their machines.)
I wondered a while back when I installed mine if Mike (Eagle) realized how many he's sold. In my mind that is the only way to find out how many replacements are out there. Not all DMV's categorize bikes by model. If this were true we could cross reference to all the registered ones and get a seriously rough percentage of maybe's!!

I love this forum!!!
Squidly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 41 Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102ndcar View Post
Yea I'm going to order the eagle Mike doohicky and put that on for peace of mind. It looks kind of difficult to install from the two videos I watched and some custom tools were made. What was your experience like?
I didn't find the install all that difficult. I purchased the special tools needed for peace of mind. Working slow and careful, it seemed pretty straight forward to me. I was more worried about introducing foreign materials into the case than anything else. Now, doing the valve adjustment, that was much more stressful to me.
tjduexjr is offline  
post #13 of 41 Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly View Post
I wondered a while back when I installed mine if Mike (Eagle) realized how many he's sold. In my mind that is the only way to find out how many replacements are out there. Not all DMV's categorize bikes by model. If this were true we could cross reference to all the registered ones and get a seriously rough percentage of maybe's!!
Eagle Mike's production figures, versus the total worldwide KLR650 production figures, might offer an approximation (although some KLR650s have been retired, and perhaps other manufacturers produce aftermarket doohickeys).

DMV records may be difficult to source; further, US-only DMV data would exclude the population of KLR650s in non-US countries.

Limiting the population: How about KLR650s currently in service in the US? (US KLR650 sales, vs. Eagle Mike US doohickey sales, should put us in the ballpark.)

DISCLAIMER: I have Eagle Mike doohickey and "torsion spring" on my Generation 1.
Squidly likes this.

Last edited by Damocles; 12-22-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Damocles is offline  
 
post #14 of 41 Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Eagle Mike's production figures, versus the total worldwide KLR650 production figures, might offer an approximation (although some KLR650s have been retired, and perhaps other manufacturers produce aftermarket doohickeys).

DMV records may be difficult to source; further, US-only DMV data would exclude the population of KLR650s in non-US countries.

Limiting the population: How about KLR650s currently in service in the US? (US KLR650 sales, vs. Eagle Mike US doohickey sales, should put us in the ballpark.)

DISCLAIMER: I have Eagle Mike doohickey and "torsion spring" on my Generation 1.
The world wide numbers would be hard to do but the percentage or 650s in this forum with doohickey mods should be dooable. So, to start it off, my KLR 650 is in service and has a replacement doohickey (Eagle Mikes) making the count to date 100%.
twinjet is offline  
post #15 of 41 Old 12-23-2016, 06:47 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet View Post
The world wide numbers would be hard to do but the percentage or 650s in this forum with doohickey mods should be dooable. So, to start it off, my KLR 650 is in service and has a replacement doohickey (Eagle Mikes) making the count to date 100%.
Sample sizes such as in your poll, twinjet, resulted in Hillary Clinton victory poll predictions in the recent election!

---------------------------

In my view, poll responses largely from Internet users might skew the inferences.

Random, man-on-the-KLR polling might produce more valid population estimation data.
Damocles is offline  
post #16 of 41 Old 12-25-2016, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Sample sizes such as in your poll, twinjet, resulted in Hillary Clinton victory poll predictions in the recent election!

---------------------------

In my view, poll responses largely from Internet users might skew the inferences.

Random, man-on-the-KLR polling might produce more valid population estimation data.
Do you infer that most have not done the do?
twinjet is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet View Post
Do you infer that most have not done the do?
I infer nothing. However, I think the possibility exists, somewhat removed from Internet involvement, LOTS of KLR riders never HEARD of the doohickey, much less replaced it.

Unless Eagle Mike's aftermarket doohickey production figures equal over 50 % of Kawasaki's worldwide KLR 650 production, then . . . yes, I'd infer most (worldwide) have not done the doo.

The same scale can be used for US KLR650s, comparing US aftermarket doohickey sales with US KLR650 sales figures.

Significance of aftermarket doohickey distribution? Little to none, IMHO. The decision to replace the OEM doohickey or not resides within each KLR owner, for his own reasons.

DISCLAIMER: Eagle Mike torsion spring comprises superior design to stock spring; aftermarket doohickey superior in fit/finish/design compared with stock part.
Damocles is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 12-25-2016, 06:31 PM
4th Gear
 
larry31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,063
Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet View Post
Do you infer that most have not done the do?
Before I did my bike, I questioned several dealers in my area. Not one of them admitted to ever having doing one ,or the necessity of doing it. Some never heard of a DooHicky. If that's any indication of an average KLR owner even being aware of the problem, I doubt very many owners ever doing the change. If you don't frequent a club, forum, or other place where KLR's are ridden, you may never know about it at all.

Ageing Gracefully



2017 Yamaha XT250
1990 Honda NX250 (Green/White)
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Orange & White )

My KLR Page..http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm

Mod's to KLR:
Power socket, L.E.D. Battery Indicator, Camera bag holder
Custom Saddlebag frames .
Louder horns, Firstgear Onyx tail bag.
Custom Aluminum Skid Plate.
Cut down seat with Custom pad.
Go Pro Camera mount.
Doo-Hicky
larry31 is offline  
post #19 of 41 Old 12-26-2016, 11:46 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
I infer nothing. However, I think the possibility exists, somewhat removed from Internet involvement, LOTS of KLR riders never HEARD of the doohickey, much less replaced it.

Unless Eagle Mike's aftermarket doohickey production figures equal over 50 % of Kawasaki's worldwide KLR 650 production, then . . . yes, I'd infer most (worldwide) have not done the doo.

The same scale can be used for US KLR650s, comparing US aftermarket doohickey sales with US KLR650 sales figures.

Significance of aftermarket doohickey distribution? Little to none, IMHO. The decision to replace the OEM doohickey or not resides within each KLR owner, for his own reasons.

DISCLAIMER: Eagle Mike torsion spring comprises superior design to stock spring; aftermarket doohickey superior in fit/finish/design compared with stock part.


I have spent significant time reading and researching this issue over the years as have others......my opinion is thus:

- Gen1: failure of the stock lever and/or spring is highly likely.......the people "in the know" guesstimate around 33% though I'd suggest the figure is somewhat mileage dependent with the 33% being around 20,000 miles.....higher mileage = higher percentage of failure.

- Gen2: doohickey lever failure is almost non-existant.......the issues of loose fit on the shaft and loss of spring tension are real and are said to occur around 6,000 miles though some have zero tension from new and some still have tension at 20,000 miles.



So is this all an internet myth? No, it's real enough IMO. There are several reasons that I believe contribute to the lack of even more documented failures:

- A great many people never adjust there counterbalance system. If the adjustment is never attempted, the system doesn't get the huge slack that an attempt with a broken spring or lever would introduce. I always tell new owners NOT to adjust the system without physically checking to see it's intact first.

- Most grenaded doo and spring bits float around harmlessly in the bottom end without causing catastrophic failure. My 2001 was opened up at 15,000 miles to find the typical broken doo (three pces) and spring (two pces). I found all the pces in the bottom end and oil screen and the bike was likely ridden for some time in that condition.

- the "upgrade" in 2008 significantly reduced the likelihood of a broken doo lever.

- a large percentage of bikes die of old age, crashes and neglect long before they can be considered high mileage units.

- many failures are never diagnosed......i.e. bike is "broken" and parted out or otherwise discarded.

- Sometimes other failures (i.e. 2008/2009 low oil level/oil burning) takes out the engine before the counterbalance system has the opportunity to.


At the end of the day, I believe that the stock counterbalance adjustment system is problematic but the vast majority of KLR owners are ignorant of the issue and it doesn't come up on their radar for the aforementioned reasons.

On a Gen1, I believe replacement is critical to longevity. On a Gen2 you could get along fine by just periodically checking the spring to ensure it is intact and has tension. Due to the loose fit on the shaft, the springs are put under significantly increased duty cycles, EM's superior lever with better fitment and the torsion spring design completely eliminate this concern.


A KLR, especially a Gen2 can live for quite awhile without even acknowledging the counterbalance adjuster.....but it's still a weak link that is worth replacing if you want some piece of mind.


2 cents,

Dave
Randall_64 and fesmech like this.
DPelletier is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,339
The Internet may raise consciousness and awareness of balancer chain tensioning system deficiencies, and the opportunity for upgrades of associated components.

The shortcomings of the doohickey-related KLR650 systems haven't risen to the level of a DOT (Department of Transportation) or NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) recall, so far. A recall should involve a solution to problems, not simply replacement of components with identical parts.

That said, the majority of KLR650s in service may possess stock doohickeys, for the reasons outlined in DPelletier's post above, including KLR650 owners unaware/unwilling, regarding the upgrade.
DPelletier likes this.
Damocles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Rebel Back2Kawi KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 8 05-24-2017 08:02 AM
2017's are out Back2Kawi KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 11 11-16-2016 07:00 PM
August 21st 2017 Total Solar Eclipse DON'T MISS IT! Toney The Off Topic Lounge 5 08-23-2016 12:26 PM
CARB LEAKING GAS / IDLE ISSUES 2000klr 650 krimpoo 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 7 03-01-2013 05:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome