By sharing my difficulties with the recent install of an oversized piston, I run the risk of exposing my incompetence, having already been accused once of poor workmanship being the root of the problems. But poor workmanship gets better when we learn from our mistakes and if I share my mistakes with the rest of you, I might pass on something helpful.
After I got the bike back together, it ran well but left a pool of oil on the floor. One source of oil I knew was the fact that I had a couple of stripped bolts on the valve cover and couldnít tighten it down. A couple of thread inserts and it still leaked. It seems one of the bolts was bottoming out too soon. An additional washer on the top side of that bolt and some Permatex 2 around the top of the bolt took care of that. But, there was still that puddle of oil.
I got a spray can of Gold Bond foot powder and sprayed the left side of the engine which was where the oil was coming from. The trail led to a weak spot in the crankcase gasket. I tried to solve the problem by apply Automotive Goop over the area, but it didnít really work, though less oil was leaking. I decided to replace the gasket, which meant I should also replace the gasket on the stator cover.
I replaced both of those gaskets and the oil drip was now reduced to a very little drip, but it was still there. A closer look disclosed the final problem. The stator cover has two little rubber grommets which allows the wire a leak proof way to the stator. It is tricky to get these two grommets into place and stay in place as you put the cover back on. One of them was a little out of place. Off came the cover again and these two grommets carefully kept in place as I put the cover back on. No more oil leaks and the bike runs well.