Hard to start. - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Ghost Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 73
Hard to start.

I have an 08 KLR 650. It has about 15,000 miles on it or so. Just last winter I did the valve clearance. It has been ridden very little since then. Now whenever I go to start it it is extremely hard to get it started. It's acting just like it did whenever the valve clearance was near zero. But I know that's not it because that was just taken care of. Once you do get it started it runs fine plenty of power no overheating or anything. I'm thinking it's the crappy ethanol fuel clogged something in the carburetor. I'm really not in the mood to take the carb all the way off mainly because the threads are so messed up on the choke enrichment plastic thing. I was wondering if just taking out the diaphragm and the slide and Blasting some cleaner down through the Jets followed by some compressed air might actually do anything? Or am I stuck with dismantling everything all over again. By the way when I did the valves I also cleaned the carb at that time and everything was fine. The weird thing is the carb was never cleaned for 8 years and it was fine so if that's the problem now I got to wonder what's up. I'm open to any suggestions on what to check.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ghost Rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,684
Garage
If it was my bike I would check the valves again, since hard starting is such a classic symptom. I'd have to have that off the table first.

But you are right, it is probably a carb issue. Lots has changed in the past 10 years with gas. Carbs can now get clogged up in just a few weeks with this ethanol stuff.

There's only one right way to do this, since it is probably the idle circuits that are clogged. Those are tiny and what ethanol causes a problem with. The orifice in the idle jet is only about .014", or the thickness of a few sheets of paper. There are some very fine passage ways that come out just in front of the butterfly, too. The emulsifier has tiny holes, too. You will need to pull the carb to do a proper job. You've done it before, but there are videos on YouTube (a series of four videos) that go through it step by step.

As to the enricher, you might just want to get rid of the plastic ferrule and replace it with a Stead metal ferrule or just go to a carb-mounted enricher.

Stead Engineering Choke Conversion Kit

Son of Stead

Tom [email protected]

“Some days I feel like playing it smooth. Some days I feel like playing it like a waffle iron.” -Philip Marlowe

“'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte

Sting like a butterfly.
Noli Timere Messorem

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 03-01-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Tom Schmitz is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Montgomery County PA
Posts: 104
You are probably right about the plugged jets in the carb. I had the same problem with mine last year, dosed the hell out of it with SeaFoam. After about 100 miles the bike started and idled fine. Hope it works for you.
roadrash83 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Ghost Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
If it was my bike I would check the valves again, since hard starting is such a classic symptom. I'd have to have that off the table first.

But you are right, it is probably a carb issue. Lots has changed in the past 10 years with gas. Carbs can now get clogged up in just a few weeks with this ethanol stuff.

There's only one right way to do this, since it is probably the idle circuits that are clogged. Those are tiny and what ethanol causes a problem with. The orifice in the idle jet is only about .014", or the thickness of a few sheets of paper. There are some very fine passage ways that come out just in front of the butterfly, too. The emulsifier has tiny holes, too. You will need to pull the carb to do a proper job. You've done it before, but there are videos on YouTube (a series of four videos) that go through it step by step.

As to the enricher, you might just want to get rid of the plastic ferrule and replace it with a Stead metal ferrule or just go to a carb-mounted enricher.

Stead Engineering Choke Conversion Kit

Son of Stead
Thanks for the info I can't imagine the valves having a problem in such a short time I was starting to wonder if I did not tighten down something well enough but if something came loose that would increase the clearance I think. Definitely going to look into that choke conversion kit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ghost Rider is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Ghost Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash83 View Post
You are probably right about the plugged jets in the carb. I had the same problem with mine last year, dosed the hell out of it with SeaFoam. After about 100 miles the bike started and idled fine. Hope it works for you.
You put the seafoam in the gas tank I assume correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ghost Rider is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Montgomery County PA
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
You put the seafoam in the gas tank I assume correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I put about half a can in a full tank of gas, the bike smoked like hell but it worked. Once I started the bike it would only idle with the choke on. I took the bike out on the highway and got it too high RPM and closed the throttle completely and after repeatedly doing this the idle jet cleared out and she started and idled fine.
roadrash83 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,704
The 1st thing that I would do is check the Cold Cranking Compression, with the throttle Wide Open!
Regardless of when the valve tappets were last checked!

Many 2008-2009 units had an over-active KACR. A KLR650 does not start well in a cold climate with less than 80 psi of CCC!

Fresh gasoline starts better than old gasoline. Winter Blend gasoline starts better than Summer blend gasoline in cold conditions.

A 100% clean carb is required, whether the CCC is 80psi or 125 psi. Paying particular attention to the 3 little pilot outlet holes at the Bottom Edge of the throttle plate.

Remove the Phillips screw from the throttle cable bracket before dis-engaging the throttle cables from the carb, remove bracket with cables!
Remove the carburetor air duct clamps Completely.
Push the rear air duct off of the carb with your Left thumb & spiral the carb out of the engine bay with a counter-clockwise rotation. Installation is exactly reversed.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard to Start When Cold Bamaham 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 16 03-23-2015 09:08 PM
hard start when warm klr 650 shakorun 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 6 11-05-2012 11:18 AM
hard to start getting worse portgy 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 6 09-14-2012 08:35 PM
Hard to start after a fall? clogan KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 8 12-16-2010 03:51 PM
Hard start after sitting in the sun. Jigsaw 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 7 08-27-2010 01:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome