as an aside... this was my first attempt at mounting a tire. Through several circumstances, I decided to re-use the original tube, which looked ok. First attempt, after getting the tire on, the air leaked back out pretty quickly.
Took it back off, found and patched the hole I'd pinched in the tube (using a 24" tire iron from Harbor Freight) tried it again, air leaked out a little more slowly. Took it back off, and patched the second hole I'd just pinched in it with the tire iron. Put it back on, and it seemed to hold air ok. Test ran for about 20 minutes that evening, then found it to be down to 20psi the next morning, originally pressurized to 35.
Stopped on the way home from work, bought a new tube, put it in, using a couple of single end metric open end wrenches (which had very slim, well rounded ends) and put it in. No leaks.
Nothin to it!
Last slow leak in the original tube was found to be coming out from under my first patch.
Somehow, during the seemingly endless removal and replacement process, I didn't get the speedo cable end firmly in place. I now have a new cable on order, which should be here in a day or so.