IMS tank vibrations - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-02-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
IMS tank vibrations

I've been researching IMS tanks. I was thinking about crash bars but want to avoid adding weight. I've also heard that many, if not all crash bars set-up vibrations. Some more than others. I haven't seen anything about the IMS tanks creating vibrations, but considering they have lower frame bracing to the bottom of the tank side, I'm thinking that some extra vibrations, over what the KLR already has, might be possible.

Do IMS tanks create extra vibrations like crash bars do?

Doug
2014 1/2 bought Apr 2017
backdrop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-2018, 11:57 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,232
No. Furthermore most of us don't install those lower braces; all you need is the "puck" attachment and the two screws under the front of the seat.

If anything the plastic IMS would dampen vibrations that the stock metal tank could transmit.


Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
...most of us don't install those lower braces; all you need is the "puck" attachment and the two screws under the front of the seat.
My last drop was behind Westbank near the powerlines. I could have used bars or the IMS tank .then. A lot of big rocks that smashed my plastic shroud.

Why do most not install the braces for the tank? Wouldn't they help prevent the tank from bending into the rad on a hard drop?
backdrop is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,232
The collective wisdom is that those little brackets are more likely to damage the rad than protect it.

Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,243
I'll ask, which size IMS Fuel Tanks you are each referring to? On which generation of bike?
DPelletier likes this.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 84,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
I'll ask, which size IMS Fuel Tanks you are each referring to? On which generation of bike?
Good question. It's a 2014 so Gen 2 I guess. I could be wrong but I think IMS only has a 10 gal for Gen 2 KLR. I can't seem to find a dealer for them.
backdrop is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2018, 09:39 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,232
Paul raised a good point and I saw this post in "active topics" so I failed to notice it was in the "2008+" section. Apologies. My experience is limited to the IMS 6.6 installed on a Gen1. The 10gall is a different animal and is the only one listed for a Gen2 - BUT many people have installed the 6.6 on a Gen2 with minor tweeking.....if that's the direction you're looking at talk to Tom - he posted a how to on it.

The 10gallon isn't as adept at protecting the rad as the 6.6 according to some previous posts.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-06-2018, 09:58 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,243
It has been found by (GoMotor) and others that the IMS 10 gallon tank Is Not as protective of the radiator and other components as the 1st Generation 6.6 gallon IMS tank.
Read here, https://www.klrforum.com/550170-post15.html

And possibly other threads, https://www.klrforum.com/search.php?searchid=5275177

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 84,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrop View Post
I've been researching IMS tanks. I was thinking about crash bars but want to avoid adding weight. I've also heard that many, if not all crash bars set-up vibrations. Some more than others. I haven't seen anything about the IMS tanks creating vibrations, but considering they have lower frame bracing to the bottom of the tank side, I'm thinking that some extra vibrations, over what the KLR already has, might be possible.

Do IMS tanks create extra vibrations like crash bars do?

Doug
2014 1/2 bought Apr 2017
I know zero about those tanks, but I have a set of Team Alba Racing Crash Bars which sell for $175 shipped at Amazon.com, gusseted for extra strength, ( most others are not) Rubber isolated and I can honestly say here with 100% surety that mine do not noticeably vibrate at any speed or rpm. They also mount to the frame tube just forward of the foot pegs, where others either mount to the peg mounts or the lower subframe mount, both of which, in my opinion, is a weak point to begin with without the added stress of having to absorb an impact from falling down.

Never pick a fight with an old man.. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you..
PaddyD is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-07-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Neutral
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
I know zero about those tanks, but I have a set of Team Alba Racing Crash Bars which sell for $175 shipped at Amazon.com, gusseted for extra strength, ( most others are not) Rubber isolated and I can honestly say here with 100% surety that mine do not noticeably vibrate at any speed or rpm. They also mount to the frame tube just forward of the foot pegs, where others either mount to the peg mounts or the lower subframe mount, both of which, in my opinion, is a weak point to begin with without the added stress of having to absorb an impact from falling down.
Interested. How much do they weigh?
backdrop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not so good vibrations Bundybear_79 How To's & Tech Guides 2 03-12-2017 05:13 AM
Vibrations at 2500rpm Seb 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 22 11-01-2016 08:24 PM
Reducing Cluster vibrations twinblown 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 2 10-13-2013 06:54 PM
How do I lessen seat vibrations? jbulkin 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 3 04-10-2009 02:49 PM
Heads up, group by on IMS tank over on ADV HighDezert Bike and Rider Gear 2 11-07-2006 01:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome