Info from JeffSaline and GoMotor;
In 2005 I did a draw test on all the circuits of my Gen I, 2003, KLR650. Then I took the specs for the Gen I and did the conversion. My guess is the Gen II KLRs use about the same amount of electrickery to operate the bike.
I dug out my factory service manuals and found the specs for the A14-A17, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003 models at the rear of the supplement manual. It rates the alternator at 17 amps @ 7,000 rpm @ 14 volts. That puts it at about 238 watts @ 7,000 rpm @ 14 volts.
The specs at the front of the supplement rate the alternator for A1-A9 at 14 amps @ 8,000 rpm @ 14 volts. That put the earlier alternators at 196 watts @ 8,000 rpm @ 14 volts.
For the Gen II (via Clymers) it is rated at (2008-2010) 14 volts at 17 amps at 7,000 rpm. The Gen II (2011-on) is rated at 14.5 volts at 17 amps at 7,000 rpm. So for the 2008-2010 it is 238 watts and for the 2011-on it is 246.5 watts.
Here is what MY KLR used for electrickery.
- With the headlight off, key on, I got a reading of 1.51 amps. I think this only taillight & instrument lights.
- With the headlight on, key on, I got a reading of 5.43 amps. Low beam drawing 3.92 amps.
- With the headlight on high beam, key on I got a reading of 6.10 amps. High beam drawing 4.59 amps.
- With the headlight off, key on, fan on, I got a reading of 3.83 amps. Fan drawing 2.32 amps.
- With the headlight off, key on, horn blowing, I got a reading of 3.08 amps. Horn drawing 1.57 amps.
- With the headlight off, key on, Dual Star LED Brake light on, I got a reading of 1.93 amps. LED brake light drawing 0.42 amps.
- My heated grips are on a different circuit and I got readings of 1.55 amps and 2.75 amps.
- My Gr8 Design heated vest pulled 2.21 amps.
- I didn't test my heated gloves.
This was done with a battery reading only 12.05 volts
So for MY KLR650 I'm maybe using 95 watts when using the bike.
Hope this info is helpful.
I fooled around with some numbers on my gen2.
Here is what I got.
Specs for alternators from sales brochures:
gen 1 = 14 amp: gen2 = 17 amp
At 14 Volts gen1 = 196 Watts; Gen2 = 238 Watts
ELECTRICAL USAGE in Watts excluding non continuous loads like turn signals, brake lights etc for Gen2
Dash meter lights 3 x 3.4 = 10.2
Tail Light 8
Tag light 8
Low beam headlight 55
High beam light (Gen-2 only) 55
High beam indicator 3.4
Ignition system ?? unknown
Gen-2 = 139.6 Watts Gen-1 = 84.6 Watts