I did the tubeless thing and it's working - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-26-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 338
I did the tubeless thing and it's working

I did the youtube tubeless tire mod and it is working. Did a few miles until it heated up and I saw the pressure go up a few lbs. I also bought one of those wireless pressure gauges which rocks. I also bought one of those $60 tire changer helpers and worth every penny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190424_060605.jpg (494.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_204828.jpg (519.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20190423_061141.jpg (508.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190423_061152.jpg (524.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_204859.jpg (540.1 KB, 30 views)
Bill10 and samuel like this.
patroy75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 AM
3rd Gear
 
Toney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oliver Springs TN
Posts: 762
Why did you want to go tubeless?

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.” Hitchens
Toney is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 11:30 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroy75 View Post
I did the youtube tubeless tire mod and it is working. Did a few miles until it heated up and I saw the pressure go up a few lbs. I also bought one of those wireless pressure gauges which rocks. I also bought one of those $60 tire changer helpers and worth every penny.
Did you do rear wheel only Or both wheels?

What tires are you using?

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 45
You have link for youtube?
jncdi is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 338
I did it because there was no way I was going to able to jerk that rear tire off on the side of the road and put a new tube in it without flipping out. This way I can patch and be on my way in a matter of minutes. I've gotten plenty of flats on bikes. Maybe I'm a flat magnet or something. I have only done the rear tire as that one is the hardest to fix in the event of a flat. I am also running Mitas E-07 which are very hard to get on without a "machine" like the one above. The Mitas are also tubeless tires that run wonderfully on the road and the tread is aggressive and perfect for light off road. I believe it is a 50/50 tire. But I can't tell the difference between it and an 80/20 on the corners. Also I'm running the pressure at about 35psi and waramed up it goes up to about 40psi. I bought one of those wireless tire guages which is awesome. Another tidbit, the rear tire does have a safety bead which is where I trimmed the tape a smidge below toward the center of the tire. The rear tire has the bead shown below on the left side of this car wheel. I'm not recommending you do this as I work with 100 Lawyers and they slither all around me all day. I have been cruising at 80mph on this setup and perfect. If someone can take a pic of their front rim on their 08 up to see if it has the raised bead that would be wonderful.



Youtube I followed is this one. https://youtu.be/JPzoqi_4X7o

Sealant -


Tape -



Last edited by patroy75; 04-30-2019 at 07:06 AM.
patroy75 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 10:43 AM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,531
The Front rim is only intended to be used as Tube Type. It does Not have the Safety Bead. One might consider using the TuBliss System on the front.

But numerous people have sealed the front spokes and went TubeLess. They reason that even a tubed tire unseats from the rim bead during a flat, so Whats the Difference?

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
The Front rim is only intended to be used as Tube Type. It does Not have the Safety Bead. One might consider using the TuBliss System on the front.

But numerous people have sealed the front spokes and went TubeLess. They reason that even a tubed tire unseats from the rim bead during a flat, so Whats the Difference?

Well that would be true I suppose. Will probably do that one too. curiously I have never gotten a flat on a front tire. They didn't sell the tubliss in dual sport sizes I think I recall. 17" So as not to be liable for road use or some such.
patroy75 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
The Front rim is only intended to be used as Tube Type. It does Not have the Safety Bead. One might consider using the TuBliss System on the front.

But numerous people have sealed the front spokes and went TubeLess. They reason that even a tubed tire unseats from the rim bead during a flat, so Whats the Difference?
the difference is that reseating a tubed tire is easy; add air until the tire seats......reseating a tube-less tire can be problematic at best without a supply of high volume air. (yes, I know about "exploding" the tire into place but I don't wanna try it)

Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 03:00 PM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroy75 View Post
Well that would be true I suppose. Will probably do that one too. curiously I have never gotten a flat on a front tire. They didn't sell the tubliss in dual sport sizes I think I recall. 17" So as not to be liable for road use or some such.
They don't sell the TuBliss in 17" because there is very little demand. They don't recommend using it on the road because they haven't jumped through the hoops to get the necessary certification. After seeing, feeling and using one, I'm convinced that the TuBliss system will work just fine on the pavement and I've purchased two 18" rear rims (Excel) and plan on running them front and rear on both KLR's.

Best of both worlds IMO.....the issue with the home-made tube-less conversions on a KLR is that if you unseat the bead, you are probably screwed. With the Tubliss high pressure inside tube, the bead is held fast even in the event of a loss of tire pressure.

Dave
DPelletier is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
They don't sell the TuBliss in 17" because there is very little demand. They don't recommend using it on the road because they haven't jumped through the hoops to get the necessary certification. After seeing, feeling and using one, I'm convinced that the TuBliss system will work just fine on the pavement and I've purchased two 18" rear rims (Excel) and plan on running them front and rear on both KLR's.

Best of both worlds IMO.....the issue with the home-made tube-less conversions on a KLR is that if you unseat the bead, you are probably screwed. With the Tubliss high pressure inside tube, the bead is held fast even in the event of a loss of tire pressure.

Dave
I don't see how the danger of unseating would be any different than on a regular tubeless rim. As stiff as these Mitas e-07's are I'm not worried about that. They aren't going anywhere.
patroy75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is tubeless possible Ragnar 1 KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 20 07-24-2016 03:44 PM
KLR wouldn't start but it did but it didn't but did? Drake KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 4 08-04-2011 09:11 PM
tube/tubeless tires bienhoabob 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions 2 07-02-2011 09:58 AM
Tubeless Tires???? Daddyjoe 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 10 02-23-2009 04:05 PM
Tubeless rockiedog2 KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion 5 09-12-2007 08:00 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome