Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum (https://www.klrforum.com/forumindex.php)
-   2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions (https://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/)
-   -   Fuel Tank Inlet Filter (https://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650-wrenching-mod-questions/71517-fuel-tank-inlet-filter.html)

GoMotor 10-17-2019 05:57 PM

Fuel Tank Inlet Filter
 
I would like to find a fuel filter that works at the fuel tank inlet catching dirt etc. before it gets in the tank. I of course have the little tiny screens at the petcock inlet and the screen at the 2011 carb inlet. I have seen Guglatech filler cap filters advertised for other bikes, but none for KLRs.

pdwestman 10-17-2019 08:10 PM

Due to the locking bar of the KLR fuel cap you probably won't find an in-tank filler neck filter bag to Install & Forget! May have to remove it after each fill-up.

But I also know that you are a 'pretty crafty' old fart! :)

I just stuck a caliper into the neck of a Gen 1 and measured 1 & 11/16". Next I have a Twin-Air 160610 filler neck filter sock to fit KX250 - 450 F models.
The OD of the sock attachment black plastic measures 1 & 3/4". If the upper flange was segmented and the sock attachment was mostly 'slit' it might pass thru the upper neck and engage the lower neck.

This Fuel filter sock had a retail price of $34.95 when I ordered it, sometime back.

GoMotor 10-17-2019 10:01 PM

A quick measurement on mine showed 1.63". Close to the 1 & 11/16" you measured. I am thinking I will not find a perfect fit, but the Twin-Air 160610 would drop in well enough to filter from a nozzle or a funnel. I could then drop the the filter into a mesh sack tied to the back of my tail box.

DPelletier 10-18-2019 09:38 AM


Damocles 10-19-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPelletier (Post 690633)

Might do a better job than the cheesecloth used by trailside vendors (pouring from re-purposed gallon milk containers).

Riding in primitive areas of the world, might be worth the price.

Norton 850 10-19-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 690639)
Might do a better job than the cheesecloth used by trailside vendors (pouring from re-purposed gallon milk containers).

Riding in primitive areas of the world, might be worth the price.

The cheesecloth idea really speaks to the MacGyver in me.

Plus, it's inexpensive and you could easily replace it periodically. However, I'm not familiar with the cheesecloth mesh size, but, hopefully, it's a decent size for filtering fuel.

Jason

GoMotor 10-22-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPelletier (Post 690633)

Close, but no cigar. The stock tank has a steel fitting for the gas cap which works with the magnetic ring in the neck of the BestRest filter bag. My IMS 10 gallon tank has an aluminum fitting for the gas cap leaving nothing for the BestRest bag to hold to.

MTKKLR 01-10-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoMotor (Post 690771)
Close, but no cigar. The stock tank has a steel fitting for the gas cap which works with the magnetic ring in the neck of the BestRest filter bag. My IMS 10 gallon tank has an aluminum fitting for the gas cap leaving nothing for the BestRest bag to hold to.

Well I was really excited to see this, but you're saying this is a no go? Looks good in the picture. Have an 03, even though I'm sure it doesn't matter.

pdwestman 01-10-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTKKLR (Post 696491)
Well I was really excited to see this, but you're saying this is a no go? Looks good in the picture. Have an 03, even though I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Stock Steel Fuel Tank, It should work Perfectly as advertised, MTKKLR!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome