Some major upgrade advice - Page 13 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 23Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 252
Some major upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
ILove2Ride,



You apparently didn't read ALL of klrchris information. As he is the one that makes those beautifully modified cam sprockets from cores which you send him. Price tag $145 per pair.

https://www.klrchris.com/klr650-adjustable-cam-gear/

I actually did, but will admit it was a few months ago and I was more interested in his engine build than anything else. And as usual, it was done on my phone.

I do thank you for the direct link though and will place my order with him today.

By the way: in the first link regarding cam decreeing I thought the company was called Engine Logistics. Is that KLRChrisí company name?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ILove2Ride2Wheels; 11-06-2019 at 12:18 PM.
ILove2Ride2Wheels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
ILove2Ride,



Strips of Modeling Clay is what is normally used to the check clearances between piston & cylinder head, piston & valves, with both base & an old used head gasket in-place. Not Plasti-Gauge.

Thanks, I knew there was a name for it (Plasti-Guage) but itís been close to 40 years since Iíve used it and just could remember what it was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ILove2Ride2Wheels is offline  
post #123 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM
2nd Gear
 
Norton 850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Ride2Wheels View Post
Thanks, I knew there was a name for it (Plasti-Guage) but itís been close to 40 years since Iíve used it and just could remember what it was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plasti-gauge is typically used to measure the clearance between rod and main insert-type bearings. Clay of some sort is used to check clearance between the piston and valves.

Jason
DPelletier likes this.
Norton 850 is online now  
 
post #124 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 03:46 PM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Ride2Wheels View Post
I do thank you for the direct link though and will place my order with him today.
According to the KLRChris dynamometer charts, you just bought yourself 2.2 additional maximum horsepower!

ďYou better put down that gun. You got two ways to go, put it down or use it. Even if you tie me, youíre gonna be dead.Ē "John Russell" (Paul Newman), Hombre
Damocles is online now  
post #125 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
According to the KLRChris dynamometer charts, you just bought yourself 2.2 additional maximum horsepower!

Bummer. His PayPal cart isnít working. Iíll have to try later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ILove2Ride2Wheels is offline  
post #126 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
According to the KLRChris dynamometer charts, you just bought yourself 2.2 additional maximum horsepower!
And that was with a near stock engine! Additional modifications fractionally multiply each other when performed correctly.

When steps are skipped they can negate each other.

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #127 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 252
Ah, success at last. PayPal cart is up and I managed to order a set.

Ordered a bunch of items from EM today too, but he was unavailable via phone so didnít get a chance to ask about the valve, a gasket kit, or if he has a 2008 or later exhaust camshaft core I can buy. Bought an intake camshaft on eBay as a core for Web Cams, but still looking for the exhaust. If I can get it with a gear Iíll have a set of gear cores to send to KLRChris too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ILove2Ride2Wheels is offline  
post #128 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 PM
OverDrive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lander, Wyoming
Posts: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Ride2Wheels View Post
Ah, success at last. PayPal cart is up and I managed to order a set.

Ordered a bunch of items from EM today too, but he was unavailable via phone so didnít get a chance to ask about the valve, a gasket kit, or if he has a 2008 or later exhaust camshaft core I can buy. Bought an intake camshaft on eBay as a core for Web Cams, but still looking for the exhaust. If I can get it with a gear Iíll have a set of gear cores to send to KLRChris too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Webcam should not care if the exhaust cam is 87-07 or 08-18, because they are going to WELD a fairly large amount of material onto it & re-profile the lobe. But they probably need smooth / clean bearing journals or it may get more expensive!

pdwestman
Modify at "YOUR OWN RISK"!

Still riding my 1987 KL650-A1. 85,000+ miles & counting
pdwestman is offline  
post #129 of 166 Old 11-06-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwestman View Post
Webcam should not care if the exhaust cam is 87-07 or 08-18, because they are going to WELD a fairly large amount of material onto it & re-profile the lobe. But they probably need smooth / clean bearing journals or it may get more expensive!

Thatís what I thought too, but I asked and was told 08-18 for my 09 KLR (Gen2). 87-07 for Gen1 more or less. Might be 89.

I was wondering if there was a difference. Like the KACL - did I spend that right - at the end of the exhaust camshaft. Or a different gear set?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ILove2Ride2Wheels is offline  
post #130 of 166 Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,489
In your catalog of planned modifications, I don't recall seeing anything about your balancer chain tensioning system (aka, "doohickey"). An aftermarket idler shaft lever and "torsion" spring will replace questionable OEM parts with components of superior construction and design. Your call, certainly.

ďYou better put down that gun. You got two ways to go, put it down or use it. Even if you tie me, youíre gonna be dead.Ē "John Russell" (Paul Newman), Hombre
Damocles is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome