I recently purchased a 2009 KLR650 used with the goal to rebuild it to suit my needs. I am a kidney transplant patient, so minimizing vibration is one of my goals. The other is to increase horsepower & torque. Hopefully, these are not mutually exclusive goals.
Let me take a few minutes to list what I had planned and perhaps you can tell me if you can improve upon my solution with a better plan. Please don’t suggest buying a KTM, BMW, etc. as I know I could do that and choose not to because they do not suit my needs. At a very basic level, I was the older 30 year technology with no excessive electronics and complicated technology. The current engine has 14000 miles on it. I have already ordered a full Cogent DDC kit for the front and the Moab Ultimate Pro rear shock. Should becready in another couple of weeks.
The motorcycle already has a 19” front wheel - I have a spare 21” & 17” already, progressive springs - I’ll be passing these on to someone after I replace them with the DDC kit, SS brake lines, dohicky replacement, Happy Trails, skid plate, engine guard, highway pegs, nerf bars, KLRDASH & Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield I just finished installing, EM fork brace, lowered front fender, radiator guard, and theirs probably more. It was nicely farkles before I bought it.
So the rest of the plan is:
· Rebuild the engine using the Eagle Mike 719cc piston kit. https://eaglemike.com/719-forged-piston-kit-719pk.htm
· The above kit uses a custom cylinder liner. https://eaglemike.com/aftermarket-cy...0-cylliner.htm
. Might use the Schnitz Racing 705cc Kit as it has reliefs for the oversize pistons. I’m not sure the EM kit has relief pockets for the oversize valves I plan to install.
· Balance the crankshaft, create a stroker rod, and install it. http://crankworks.com/
· Head port polishing and regrinding for the oversize valves and verification using their flow bench. https://www.racetech.com/
· M-Tech oversize valves. http://www.mtechmotorcycles.com/serv...bore-kits-etc/
· Viton valve seals. https://eaglemike.com/Viton-valve-st...ngine-vvss.htm
· May need new valve guides.
· New intake & exhaust (163 grind kit) cams. http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_ve...saki/2525.html
· Web Cam spring & titanium retainer kit (VC-K07). http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_ve...saki/2525.html
· Manual chain tensioner. http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_ve...saki/2525.html
· Potentially replace consumable components (cam chain, cam sprockets, various seals, various bearings, etc.) as while I’m in there I might as well make sure I don’t have to go back in anytime soon.
· A fuel injection system to replace the current carburetor would be a significant plus factor. I have a line on a custom electronic ignition system that will allow me to modify the timing advance curve, but that’s about it. FI system are outside of my knowledgebase so don’t know where to turn for this issue. Lecturing carburation is also a possibility.
. A Thermobob 2 kit to improve the heating/cooling system.