I also finished the second part of the oil mods, with the 3 banjo bolts and the brass orifice in the oil port of the right case done. The bike is running, doesn't leak, all parts are back where they belong, didn't break off the tap in the oil passage, and no chips got away, so I am happy.
My oil burn was fine before, so it was mostly a case of tinkeritis.
That said, this was my first time looking behind the clutch cover. Found the missing part of the doohickey coil spring in the oil screen, but no other metal in there. I also found a compromised water pump oil seal, where the coil spring was partially dislodged. This might explain why the oil analysis a while ago was a bit high on sodium. However, despite the compromised seal, I had no noticeable loss of fluids.
2006 KLR650 - 40,000+ miles
Last edited by chrider; 05-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Reason: better terminology :)