Last half of the tank issue - Page 3 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Not looking forward to digging into this one. Potential wiring issue and intermittent...requires patience which I have, but rooting out this type of issue isn't the pinnacle of my abilities.

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 36 Old 04-09-2020, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear
 
Norton 850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportinh2o View Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Not looking forward to digging into this one. Potential wiring issue and intermittent...requires patience which I have, but rooting out this type of issue isn't the pinnacle of my abilities.
If you can replicate the issue by jiggling the wiring harness, the fix will be obvious and relatively easy to affect.

Where in the Hill Country are you--Dripping Springs, Johnson City or?

Jason

Last edited by Norton 850; 04-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Norton 850 is online now  
post #23 of 36 Old 04-09-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
If you can replicate the issue by jiggling the wiring harness, the fix will be obvious and relatively easy to affect.

Where in the Hill Country are you--Dripping Springs, Johnson City or?

Jason
I'm out by Canyon Lake, towards Blanco. Population >700

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
 
post #24 of 36 Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 141
Garage
Do you think you could have a soggy carburetor float?
Uncle Dick is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 04-18-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dick View Post
Do you think you could have a soggy carburetor float?
Good thought, but I'm thinking it's okay. I've checked fuel level in the carb and had it apart a few times. Float looks to be in good shape. I'm hoping tomorrow is my garage time to pull the tank and check out the wiring. It rode with no issue today.

If I find something interesting, I'll report back. Thanks!
Weav likes this.

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
Well, I stripped her down of all but the front fairing and did some run tests - all to no avail. Jiggling wires as she ran as Norton suggested, inspecting for abrasion. I just couldn't replicate the issue. Kinda figured it was going to go that way.

So, I decided to pull the carb and go through it step by step, cleaning thoroughly at each stage. What do I have to lose?! No junk in the bowl. No junk visible in the main jet or pilot. Checked for tearing in the diaphragm - nada. Pulled the float and float valve and cleaned. No appearance of residue, but cleaned it anyway. Floats were operating as intended - no fuel inside. Basically everything that could come apart was, cleaned and reassembled. The only part that had measurable stuff on it was the idle mixture screw, which never was taken out when it got drilled and adjusted for the KLX. Cleaned and shot cleaner through the orifice.

When I got her all buttoned up and cranked, I could tell almost immediately there was a difference. She was running better. More responsive to cracks of the throttle, better idle. Really doubtful it was my problem cure, but only a ride or two can tell me that. I had to adjust the idle down a tad - things were different.

During the tear down, I pulled the spark plug too since It was easy reach. It did look like it had run lean, but not terrible. It's been in there before the re-jet. Cleaned, verified gap and re-installed. Checked plug to coil wire - no issue apparent, but I keep thinking about spark in this issue I've experienced. Anybody have a wonky coil issue?

Since I was that deep into the bike already, I went in a little deeper and drilled the oil banjos. Why the heck not.

She's ready for a ride tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 04-20-2020, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear
 
Norton 850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportinh2o View Post
Well, I stripped her down of all but the front fairing and did some run tests - all to no avail. Jiggling wires as she ran as Norton suggested, inspecting for abrasion. I just couldn't replicate the issue. Kinda figured it was going to go that way.

So, I decided to pull the carb and go through it step by step, cleaning thoroughly at each stage. What do I have to lose?! No junk in the bowl. No junk visible in the main jet or pilot. Checked for tearing in the diaphragm - nada. Pulled the float and float valve and cleaned. No appearance of residue, but cleaned it anyway. Floats were operating as intended - no fuel inside. Basically everything that could come apart was, cleaned and reassembled. The only part that had measurable stuff on it was the idle mixture screw, which never was taken out when it got drilled and adjusted for the KLX. Cleaned and shot cleaner through the orifice.

When I got her all buttoned up and cranked, I could tell almost immediately there was a difference. She was running better. More responsive to cracks of the throttle, better idle. Really doubtful it was my problem cure, but only a ride or two can tell me that. I had to adjust the idle down a tad - things were different.

During the tear down, I pulled the spark plug too since It was easy reach. It did look like it had run lean, but not terrible. It's been in there before the re-jet. Cleaned, verified gap and re-installed. Checked plug to coil wire - no issue apparent, but I keep thinking about spark in this issue I've experienced. Anybody have a wonky coil issue?

Since I was that deep into the bike already, I went in a little deeper and drilled the oil banjos. Why the heck not.

She's ready for a ride tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
Good luck!

Jason
Norton 850 is online now  
post #28 of 36 Old 04-20-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
Good luck!

Jason
Thanks Jason! We are headed toward Lake Medina today. It's been awhile since I've ridden those hills. Absolutely gorgeous day awaits.

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear
 
Norton 850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportinh2o View Post

Thanks Jason! We are headed toward Lake Medina today. It's been awhile since I've ridden those hills. Absolutely gorgeous day awaits.
Yes, it should be great weather!

You're close to the "twisted sisters", but it would be a long day to do both and there's no lodging open for an overnight stay. Perhaps another time.

Jason
Norton 850 is online now  
post #30 of 36 Old 04-20-2020, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear
 
Sportinh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 127
So the wife and I were treated to a beautiful hill country ride today. Close to 200 miles in all. Things were actually incredible at the beginning. Best this bike has ever run. 2 up pulling hills at 70+ with more authority than I've experienced on this KLR. Then I fueled up...and it was over almost immediately. After that she was sputtery at worst, boggy at best. I checked to see if umbrella seals were sticking - nope. Same ride with the fuel lid cracked open. Shut the petcock and ran it out of fuel to see what would happen..nothing.

So, after an advanced search on here, I haven't really found what I'm after. What exactly happens when you overfill? I see the symptoms are sputtering, which I definitely have. I don't fill the tank to the tip of the neck...but if you are leaning in the corners on a full tank, I've got to assume this is a distinct possibility.

Sounds like a lawnmower, Rides like a paint shaker!

I got 99 problems but fuel injection, 6th gear or a 2nd cylinder ain't 1!

My wife: "I didn't know if that was you coming home, or a neighbor mowing"
Sportinh2o is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome