Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

RPM's Between Gears

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Auroracycler 
#1 ·
Recently took my bike in for its 500 mile check up and when I got it back I noticed that when shifting between gears the RPM's were not dropping as quickly as I feel that they should to allow me to optimize the full range of the next gear. Idle is holding at the recommended 1200-1300 RPM.

Consulted the manual and it mentions an adjustment to back side of the acceleration handle and by loosening the tightening nut just beyond the handle I added some play to the acceleration and dececeleration wire as recommended and it seems to get a bit better but I still find that I need to hold the clutch in a bit longer than I would like to accomplish the drop in RPM's before I enter the next gear.

Could it be the choke that needs to have some play that could be causing the higher RPM's at operating speed? Any other ideas?

Many Thanks :cool0012:

#3 ·
I worked on the choke to no avail and took my bike to the shop and spent a few minutes with the technician. He fired it up and noticed the delay at the RPM top end and immediately concluded that the carb needed to be re-jetted.

Supposidly, the factory adjusts the carb to meet emissions and that is not the optimal setting for riding after they are sold and emissions are in the rear view mirror. The technician said that just about every recent KLR he sees suffers from this condition some to one degree or another. Mine seemed to be a littel bit worse than some he has seen recently. Hope I can talk them out of the repair bill....

Onward!:46:

#4 ·
You might do a search for the air mixture mod. It involves removing the factory plug and opening up the screw another 3/4 of a turn or so. Made a big difference in my bike. I did this and the safety switch bypass mods after my 500 mile service.
Here's a great link with step by step procedure.
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/Carb_AirMix.pdf

#6 ·
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=2579

This is my link showing some pictures. I decided to use a really small drill bit and a mechanics pick to remove the plug. Much easier to do without possibly messing up the mixture screw with a larger bit.

#8 ·
I have no idea. All I know is that when I was riding the bike before this service carefully varying the RPM's as instructed the bike seemed to act more like I expected it should relative to RPM variations when the throttle was backed off. After the service it is clearly exhibiting a hesitation at the top end that is most noticable in the low end of the gear box between gears. Efforts to put slack in the choke, and throttle linkage proved fruitless and that is when I took the bike to the dealer and asked to speak directly to the technician about the symptoms. A couple of twists of the throttle while watchig the RMP gage was all that the technicial needed to conclude that the carb jet needed to be modified to get things back to where things should be. His comment about the regularity of this condition from the factory with the emphasis on passing emissions as the primary objective was more than a bit concerning as this variable is obviously out of the control of consumers.

At the end of the day I just want my KLR 650 to perform as optimally as possible and that is where the buck stops for all of us.

#10 ·
I went ahead and had the shop technician do the carb work because he knew what he was doing and get me out the door in about an hour. I have been far to busy at work to attend to it and I want to ride this weekend. Cost me $40 but she runs like a scalded dog now and the RPM's drop off perfectly at the top end as they should. I am pleased at getting this issue behind me.

Cheers!

#11 ·
40 bucks sounds fair.but did they/he show you what they did?Hopefully it wasn't just adj the idle screw.Bottom line is that it runs satisfactory for ya

#14 ·
For the purposes of sharing this information accurately, I am going to send the sales manager an e-mail to make sure that I find out exactly from the technician that performed the work what he did for me that corrected this condition and I will share it with the group.

When I picked up the bike the tech had a KTM up on the rack and there were parts everywhere so I opted to not bother him at that time.

Later,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.