Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Clank!

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Florida Marine 
#1 ·
After the bike sits for a few days there is a nasty Clank the first time you put it in gear. I assume this is because the wet clutch is dry. Does this Clank hurt the transmission?

#4 ·
Speakin of plastic buzz, we figured out if you cut a length of the loop 'soft' portion of velcro and put it on the fairing where the black plastic headlight cover touches, it cuts out 99% of the buzzing sound

#12 ·
No kidding? Man that buzz drives me NUTS! :mad0235:

will give that a try today!

Thanks!

Sean

#6 ·
Well, now.... on the subject of tupperware buzz. My other bike is a BMW K1200LT. A bike that has a lot of tupperware. I have been using foam door insulation to try to trap and kill some of the buzzing and rattling. I found the stuff with one side sticky works pretty well.

#8 ·
I have a similar issue, after I warm up the bike and back it out of the garage if I don't disengage the clutch a couple of times before putting it in gear it will try to take off on me. As soon as it starts to move forward the clutch releases but it is still unsettling.

#9 ·
What is going on there is that the clutch plates stick together. I have found the gentle-ist (if that;s a word) way to break them loose is to start and warm the engine, get the bike rolling a little, pull in the clutch lever at idle and snick it into gear. Or, you can break them loose before you start the engine by putting in gear, clutch in and bump the bike back and forth against the stuck plates which will start slipping more and more. Then start up and ride off.

#11 ·
Now that I think about it, the clank did seem to lessen after my first oil change with Rotella. The previous owner said he'd used 20/40 Castrol.

The Buell has a BIG clank, at any temp, but that's just the way those are I've learned. Just shift into first while still moving or kill it and restart in first. I know, the clank doesn't really hurt anything, but I don't like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.