Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Vance and Hines xcr exhaust

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Grampps 
#1 ·
Hey just a quick couple of questions for the guys running the xcr exhaust. I have had this exhaust on my bike for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed a "popping" when gearing/ slowing down also when changing gears on the up-shift. I have done the 22 cent mod and backed the air mixture screw out 1 3/4 turns, does any one else have this problem?

#2 ·
the first thing you should check is that all connections are torqued, right from the cylinder back.

this is a common problem with aftermarket exhausts and even the stock exhaust because of the AIS. the AIS works off vacuum and allows air into the exhaust when you're off the throttle, it's an emission thing. it can removed but the vacuum line at the carb needs to be plugged as well as the hole in the cylinder head where the air is allowed in. eagle manufacturing sells a kit for that.

#3 ·
My LEXX exhaust will occasionally pop on upshift. I haven't had other bikes do this but it doesn't bother me any. It doesn't do it all the time. Popping on decal is normal.

#5 ·
I too am running a V&H XCR on a 2009. And I too have popping on decel when its cold. In 50-60 deg weather it takes about a half hour before the popping starts to go away.

I little enriching via the choke and it will go away.

I've done the .22 mod and have the KLX jet kit to install.

I plan to take out the carb and do a thorough cleaning prior to the KLX kit install.

I don't recall the popping when I first installed the XCR and the .22 mod was done (2yrs ago). My guess is because it has been 'sitting' more than 'riding', she's getting a little 'gummed' up.
----

Anybody with specific feedback on KLX Jet/needle setting for owners of the XCR Slip-on?? AIS has been removed.

Cheers from chilly Ohio.

#6 ·
I installed the KLX kit this week(along with a bunch of other stuff) and took a brief test ride before work yesterday.

Temps were about 50 deg F., Idle Mixture screw 2 turns out. KLX needle, Clip in 2 slot, stock Main Jet (145). It started right up with full choke(enrichener) and within 15 sec. Choke was off and it was idling fine at 1300rpm.

I had also just installed the Thermo-Bob2 so I shut it down after 1 min. and topped off the radiator. Started right back, and let it warm up testing out the thermo-bob and making sure the fan came on at about 210 deg..

Rolled out of the garage and took it for a short spin, no decel popping. Everything seems fine.

Before the KLX kit, I would have to ride for 1/2 hr with choke on about 1/2 way to keep it idling(idle mixture was at 1-3/4 turn). Now after a few minutes of warm up, if I try to apply choke, it stalls immediately.

I think I need to go back a little on the idle mixture screw and see if decel pop comes back. I also think the Thermo-bob has helped a bit, getting the engine up to operating temperature and maintaining it.

More testing today... I hope...

#7 · (Edited)
My setup is close to yours. I have an 09 with XCR, klx needle with clip in 2nd slot, 142.5 main, pilot at 1 3/4 turns out, uni filter, 4 -1" holes in top of air box (I put rubber grommets in the holes to divert water) that took them down to 3/4 ". I get some popping not much. I just did the MC mod, advancing the exhaust 1 tooth and think it made the single most improvement in performance . I do not have the thermo-Bob yet but would like to get one.

#8 ·
Grampps, Good Job. I don't have any additional holes in the air box and the snorkle is still there(not sure how to get it out). Jury is still out on the MC Mod. I will be doing a valve check soon and I'll decide by then.

My ride on Saturday was great but short, no popping. But I need to loosen my chain a bit after installing the 16t front sprocket. And I still haven't tweaked down from 2 turns on the idle mixture.

#9 ·
16t front sprocket, that's funny. I just put one on yesterday but won't be able to test it for a week or so. Don't tell me yours is blue too. :) You say your pilot is out 2 turns! I think I'll back mine out a little and see if the popping goes away. If not maybe it is the T-Bob that stopped your popping or it could be that my XCR is old and needs repacking.
If I remember correctly I just pulled the snorkel out, it's pliable rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.