Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

When to replace chain/sprockets

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DXKLR 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. How often have people been changing their chain/ sprockets? I have ridden dirt bikes most of my life, and the intervals between changes were never the same. It just depended how much riding I did. I don't do hardly any off road riding on my 2005 KLR. I commute, and it looks like I am going to put on about 1000 miles per month, but it could be a little more. I haven't been experiencing any problems, but I want to be prepared for anything. Is there been a common mileage where other KLR owners have found it necessary to change their chain AND sprockets? BTW I am aware of how and when I would need to adjust the chain. Also...brakes...I know it all depends on how you ride, but how many miles have other riders gotten (on average) out of the stock brake pads? Just lookin for some estimate mileage intervals. I am new to the dual sport world, and I want to keep my KLR on the road for as long as possible! Thanks!
Rick
P.S. Puttin on new tires this week, and doin the Doohickey upgrade also.

#2 ·
With the chain/sprockets, just keep an eye on your sprockets for odd wear. Typically, the front wears out before the back, just because it gets more use (less teeth).
My set are stock at and at 13K miles, they show no signs of wear, and I think I can see them making 20K pretty easily. If you're needing to adjust the chain more than once every 1000 miles or so, take a good look at them.

As far as pads, mine, and others I know needed replacement around 10-12K miles. Very easy to replace them, also.

#5 ·
Almost 10,000 miles on my chain and rear sprocket, I have changed the front around 2 or 3 times now. I am still at the same stock chain tension setting that came from factory and the sprockets still look fine with no noticable wear. My front pads had to be changed at about 6000 miles, and I changed the rears around 7500 miles, not really needed but did anyway.

DO NOT buy the kevlar pads off of EBay. Dangerous!!!!!!!...is what is currently on my back brakes, they won't stop you. EBC's on the front, and do great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.