Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

New guy from Boise Idaho

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Pistondriven 
#1 ·
Joined as I wait to purchase my KLR.
I have been a sport bike and cruiser rider for years but miss the adventures my dirt bikes gave me in my teens and early 20's. I'm 36 now and I think this dang rocket is now more trouble than I want as I apparently cant grow up when i'm on it. So it is for sale. I often look at the entrance to logging roads etc and daydream. Well its time to strap on the fly rod and go!
I have a 2005 Triumph Daytona (for sale), and a 2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
No pics till post 15 i guess.

There is a guy here selling a 2014 KLR650 that is the green new model and only has 640 miles on it. It has the crash bars (or nerf or whatever) and an aftermarket seat already. He has the receipts of the break in oil changes that hes done 2 on already. He just realized hes just too old and thought he could still enjoy it so he's looking for a nice 4wheeler. He's asking 5999 and i got him down to 5800. That's pretty good, still has warranty and the upgraded parts. So the Rocket is for sale and hopefully sells before he sells or i'll just get a 2015.
Anyways kinda been lurking here and thought i'd post. Can't wait to get out into the hills and explore :D
Fun times

See less See more
#2 ·

Pistondriven: Welcome to our little corner of the Net, the home of the world's most dedicated KLR 650 owners.

Reading is fun, but being involved is way better! Make us your online KLR 650 source.

Share your views, spread the word and bring your friends.

We are a virtual warehouse of information. The Forum Search function a helpful tool.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your KLR. You'll be able to show it off once you have 15 forum posts behind you.

Enjoy.

#3 ·
If you decide to buy new maybe give consideration to the upgraded model.

#6 ·
Pistondriven,
The 2014 'New Edition' and all of the 2015's come with a seat which looks a lot like a Corbin Flat or a Sargent Standard Height. Widened to give a little thigh support, when feet are on the pegs.
So the seat on the bike you are looking at, may be the Stock & Standard OEM seat. Which I think is pretty nice.

#8 ·
I got it today!
2014 New Edition, green and black.
Came with the crash bars, 4 extra K&N oil filters and that seat is nice. Only went about 15 miles today but I'm taking it to work tomorrow to register after work and I may not get off of it for an hour or two. Ill break the 700 mile tomorrow. Will be nice when its broken in. Not missing that rocket. I must be getting old...or.....uh........mature.......nope.......that's definitely not it. Old....er :D

#9 ·
Pistondriven,
Ride Safe and Watch out for Everybody else! I'm sure that even in Boise, ID all of the cage drivers have already forgotten to Look for Motorcyclist's, this time of year!
Enjoy the ride!

#10 ·
Congrats on the new to you KLR!
And you're in a perfect place to enjoy that bike around there.

There's a group that rides out of Boise on a couple of forums, might be some on here. They have some ride reports up on the area, and lots of places they take off for. Head for the hills west of Burns Junction, head south for Silver City, or even north for McCall.

Ah man, I've GOT to get up there again! It's been thirty years since I've been to Silver City on four wheels. Two would be great.

#11 ·
Piston,
Not only welcome to the forum, but your bike is broken in already.
The "book" hasn't changed in decades concerning break-in and there's
as many (my way is perfect) ways to break in an engine as there are
engines to break in. With laser guided/ precision machining the new rule
is basically to seat the rings, change the oil, and go beat the piss out of it.
(toldja my way was best LOL) The inner surface of the rings have long ago
found their permanent homes, and the outer (cylinder) sides ought to have made
a clear path scrubbing the walls. The oil has been changed. Sounds like it's ready
for real world riding. You'll find these are more nimble than a rocket in the twisties
and have ridiculous lean angles with the tall narrow bike combined with crazy sticky
on/off tires. Nice soft road grabbing rubber. Yes our bikes have nothing on top speed
compared to rockets, the off the line grunt of a power cruiser, nor the comfort of a
Gold Wing. Just try to take one thru the sand or mud. lol Let's compare it to full
dirt bikes. KLR's suck there too. 400+ lbs and front heavy makes whoop de doos
nearly impossible to skip across the tops, and it acts like a plow in the deep goop.
The major upside: Ya don't have to trailer it anywhere, and unlike strictly dirt bikes,
we can turn off the trails and hit the road, then venture back off into the wilderness.

It does nothing perfect but a little bit of everything else other motorcycles can only
dream of.

It's the perfect all around m/c and we all love our bikes for very good reason:
That crap eatin' grin when ya toss a leg over, thumb the starter, and ease out
the clutch!!!

Have fun,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

#12 ·
Thanks all
Yes you can go 30 minutes in any direction from here and dissapear. I'll probably head towards the owyhees soon fishing pole in tow. Good trout fishing right now north of horshoebend. Steelhead are running on the salmon so I may head up there tent in tow for 2 days. Soooo excited! Can finally take those roads and trails I just wondered about on the street bikes.
I do agree about the pluses of this bike. I have a big cruiser still. I don't miss the rocket at all. This fits my bill much better. Got to work on the muscle memory with it. Trying to get over the kick stand. Anyone hacked out a half inch from it? I'll start searching info instead of newbing up threads ;)
Fun times

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.