Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

About Gas Mileage

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hardyreels 
#1 ·
This is copy from a post I made to another thread here. I thought I'd start it over with a new thread for better exposure.

Dude, I am King of the mileage weenie's, I want to have the Anchorage Harley shop use their exhaust dynometer to properly set my carb and stock pipe up for top results this spring.

I know this will sound a little far out but........I had an 81 KZ 1100 set up by the best tech I know after mounting a 4 into 1 Kirker pipe. He used mercury gauges to sync the carbs and drilled the headers (all four) and placed a probe leading to an exhaust dyno into each pipe. He then commenced to adjust the primary air jet to achieve a 90% efficiency burn of the octane entering the cylinders. He said that was as good as it could get and the results were as follows;

You have to trust me on this, first trip was to Gander Newfoundland from Central Pennsylvania and the measured mpg at 70mph was 72! I am not B.S.ing you man, 72!

The bike had an unusual low end torque and was the fastest thing I've ever owned.

I never forgot that experience and believe that all the carb / pipe tinkering in the world will not yield top results with out the ability to measure the octane being blown out the head pipe!

What do you think?

You will save a bundle if you remove the carb and drill out the pocket to reach the air mixture jet yourself. You can buy a tricky little thumb screw to put in instead of the existing screw from [TPI motorcycles.com]

Do this before you seek a Dyno shop.

I'm gonna do it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Gotta go right now, 3-4 day trip, will contact this thread or PM you as soon as I return.

Ard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.