Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Howdy from Long Island, NY

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Hanz 
#1 · (Edited)
I've gotten back into motorcycles after a 12 year hiatus and I'm curious about the KLR. Considering buying new after figuring out how it compares to my perceived needs.

Feel free to stop reading here and just post a hello...I'm about to get wordy.

I primarily commute on my motorcycle its about 40 miles round trip primarily interstate. I like to cruise around 70-75MPH on the interstate. I would like to run heated gear. I don't carry a pillion (did I really just use that word?) and weigh around 245#s in gear. I would like to travel off pavement (gravel & fire roads) but nothing tougher.

My current motorcycle is a Honda XR650L. What I would like the KLR 650 to be in comparison:

More wind/weather protection - I'm thinking yes it does, the cowling/tank shrouds give the legs a place to tuck in. I can always get a larger windscreen.

Ability to run heated gear - I've searched and folks say yes, just not on full power all the time.

70-75MPH cruise that doesn't feel like I'm working the bike so hard.

Can the KLR do these things? I know there's an awful lot of overlap between the KLR and XRL. I don't need to give up the XRL if I get a KLR. I welcome your insight and opinions.

See less See more
#4 ·
I understand what you're saying. I've sat on VStrom 650s and don't love the seating position. I'm 6'02 with a 33" inseam. I like the seating position of the KLR 650. The XRL may, or may not, stay with me after I purchase another bike. It's a lot of fun but I'm sure a new bike will be fun too.

If anyone on Long Island has a second generation KLR650 and wouldn't mind riding my XR650L while I ride their KLR650 for half and hour or so please reach out to me. I'll even buy you lunch!

#5 ·
I think by buying a KLR you will achieve what you are looking for. A friend has an XR650. On gravel I can't keep up with him. Being a lighter bike helps. You'll be giving that up. Whenever I ride with him it seems like we are always looking for fuel though. Seems to have half the capacity of the KLR.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Went to dealer this AM sat on it and liked everything except the small mirrors. Was ready to deal and my girlfriend now tells me she wants to ride on the back. That threw a big monkey wrench in my plans. She doesn't want her own KLR either, believe me, I asked. Lol.

I'm unsure where this leaves me. I love the Yamaha Super Tenere (test rode one) but it's more than two KLR 650s. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
If you can finagle a test ride from other KLR owner or the dealership, take the girlfriend on it also.

My wife used to ride double with me (up to 300-500 mile days) , until she got her own bike.
She told me the KLR pillon seat was more comfortable than her KZ550 pillon seat (one 450 mile day). And the KLR leg-room was better for both of us.

That was about 15 years ago. We were both a little more flexible, and she was a fair bit lighter. I'm currently 57 years, still 6' 0", 36" in-seam and 150 pounds. She is 5 years younger, 5' 7", 31" in-seam and was about 140 pounds.

We would now need a Cogent Rear Shock with a stiffer spring.
But, hey that could still be possible.

#8 · (Edited)
Tomatocity is on his second Super Ténéré. He says it's 'just a big KLR'. Good bike; you can't go wrong with it if you're looking for a two-up tourer with off-road capability similar to the KLR. A thoroughly modern, big dual sport. Good aftermarket support, too. If you want a truthful insight to that bike, PM him.

I haven't seen his new one, but I will this weekend. We're going on a rideabout up in NorCal, but he'll be on his KLR so I can keep up with him...

Tom

#10 ·
Hanz,
Welcome, Id' get a KLR and see how she does. If for no other reason it'll be hard to find the help from a forum with apparently this much growth! LMBO! (We old people have the strangest sense of humor!) Were the same age and if I can manage, it can't be impossible for anyone else.
Long Island? When I was there the only time you could see those speeds was 3 in the morning. No matter what, just be happy and have fun!!!

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not so sure a Super Tenere is in the budget. Then again, I don't really know how much my GF will be riding with me so it would be silly to give that so much weight in the decision making process.

Good idea on bringing her. She's 5'10" and around 140#s maybe we will both fit? I like the idea of the higher bars. I'd likely add highway pegs for a way to change up the riding position.

We'll go sit on one Saturday. I'll report back with our results.

#14 ·
Yep, I agree. Looked at it and sat on one and the bars seemed pretty far away from me. I don't remember exactly what it was but I didn't like the seating position. I've also read (never rode one myself) that the triple likes to be wound out. Then again the Internet just might be wrong, lol. I'm now more of a lazy, short shifting, type of rider.

I've been researching pretty hard. The leftover 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom is within the budget (great pricing on them right now) and on paper the bike will do everything I want from a motorcycle. But and its A BIG BUTT, I just can't love the look of it. It's a shame. Same goes for Honda's NC700X, I'd even try a DCT but it's a little too progressive looking for me. The Versys just doesn't blow my skirt up. I guess I'm a picky S.O.B.

#15 ·
I'm pleased to report that both of us fit on the bike OK. I was actually quite surprised how well we fit. I had my GF jump on my XR650L with me yesterday and we were smooshed...not so on the KLR. I wasn't too far forward and was pretty comfortable with her all the way back on the seat and she said she was good.

The suspension also took the weight of a passenger a lot better than my XR650L. So that's another bonus.

I told the dealer the deal I would like and now it's up to them to get back to me. If all goes OK I could be on a KLR next Friday. Wish me luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.