Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Some thoughts on Mods for newbies...

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Lockjaw 
#1 ·
OK, I have an 08. I did the airbox mods, I did the fancy version of the .22 center (KLX needle). I did the doo. The mods designed to increase performance did what they were supposed to do...deal with the bike running too lean, give a little extra oomph.

But here's a thought. If you have a new bike, and you are reading on here, you are probably debating all the possible things you can do to make your bike more...something. Well, the doo is worth doing even on the new bikes if you ask me. But nothing has changed the handling and feel of my bike as dramatically as replacing the front fender with an acerbis supermoto and putting on a fork brace.

Point being, these are two EASY things you can do...I think the fender cost $30 and was super easy to install. The forkbrace is more, but you can get EM's for a little over $100 I think. And they make a big difference. At least that's my experience.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would do everything the same. But I would have changed the fender and put on a fork brace immediately.

#3 ·
Lock,

You need to do some kind of pannier system. You would love being able to go shopping with the bike and not worry about hauling home the goods. Just a thought.

#5 ·
Well, there's that for sure...................... if I'm going to do a trail ride where I might just have to thrust out a leg to keep from going down I don't have them mounted on the bike. They make it nice when I do an extended ride and need dry storage. I really like the concept of being able to go to the grocery store and get a load of stuff. I think mine hold 44 liters each, that's a bunch of stuff.

I have two sets of mounting holes in them, if I need to raise them I can make them level with the luggage rack. When you do that you can carry really big stuff lashed on top the platform. I do this when I use it for salmon fishing trips. I can strap a 40 Qt. cooler with 55 lbs. of fillets on the back for the ride home. Carry food & beer when you leave and fish when you come home.

But they aren't for trail riding that's for sure. I clipped a stump with the right side a couple years back and it put me down. They are wide.

#7 ·
Well, there's that for sure.............
That has me thinking again. Dangerous for me, I know. Could not the mounting bolts be made with a groove in them to provide for easy breakaway but still strong enough to hold the panniers on? It would be a simple lathe operation but finding the proper depth of the groove would be critical.

#6 · (Edited)
That's a good call, Ard. I got some saddle bags a ways back and it is definitely nice to be able to bring home a case of beer, groceries, and keep my trunk full of the usual tools and gear. I thought about cases, but the cost (and my small allotted parking area) negated that idea.

Interesting you would mention that flash. I have thought about taking those things off so many times, then I ride over the GG bridge on my Honda and my hands get cold even with the gloves. You're right though...those things are sails.

#9 ·
I think I just might.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.