Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

running hot

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AZ/CO-KLR650 
#1 ·
I have a 97 that runs warm(around 1/2 at speed). The problem is at a light it gets pretty close to H. It hasn't pegged but I would like it to stay cooler. Let me add I live in Phoenix and it's HOT 110+. Doese Engine Ice coolent live up to it's advertising, Is there a larger fan ect.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
"Normal" anti freeze should do the job if everything is in good working. However, your radiator is 13 years old and may need to be rodded out or at the very least a good flushing and then refilled with anti freeze. Its been 103 to 106 here the past couple of days and my needle climbs to the half way point when stopped in traffic but drops back to the 1/4 mark once under way. I don't have any personal experience with engine ice so I can't comment but I think before you chase after a "cure" you need to make sure everything else checks out first. Fan, thermostat, water pump radiator flow etc.

Greg

#3 ·
That's good advice. +1

#4 ·
Live in roughly same climate. I have the therma bob so I run at about the midpoint (190) and it climbs to about 2/3 (220) at lights. To slow it down I use 75%H20/25% coolant/ and water wetter. It slows down the temp swings during the summer. 25% coolant is plenty for the winter temps around here. Might try engine ice as an experiment some day. I've heard people use it in the 685/705 kits as they tend to run hotter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.